POLL: When do YOU replace your RODI Filters?

Running the system for 60 seconds to waste the first minute's worth of water will help make the DI resin last longer, IF you have yours set up to bleed off that water before the DI stage. TDS creep is what you want to avoid. http://www.reefaddicts.com/content.php/182-RO-DI-TDS-Creep-is-it-worthy-of-concern

If you have a flush kit on your system, run this no more than 15 seconds. Once a month is fine, or longer. Running it too often can reduce the lifespan of the membrane.

The reason the original poster is seeing water production rates significantly down is because the sediment filter is plugged up. He stated it was brown, not white. You know what it feels like to breathe normally. Try it with a stuffed nose. Water either can pass freely, or it is obstructed by the trapped particulates of the floss filter. With that filter plugged up, the pressure (PSI) drops prior to the membrane stage, and the efficiency of the membrane plummets accordingly. Change the white filter out more often if your particular circumstances dictate this need. Water pressure across the membrane should be strong year round.

As we head into winter, our source water will get colder and production rates will drop. 76 degree water produces water more quickly than 50 degree water. As it gets colder, the production rate drops, which means it will take longer in January to make the same amount of water in August. This isn't the fault of the membrane. It is designed for warmer water, and it has a harder time processing colder water.

The water I purchase at my LFS is not pre made, it's NSW and it's cheap enough at $0.50 a gallon. I usually change about 15-20 g bi weekly. I just hate mixing my own salt water. RODI system is for top off water/drinking water only !!

Brown Santa delivered my new filters and DI resin from BRS about 30 minutes ago. Already installed and producing 0TDS water at full speed. Easy Peasy.