Plumbing suggestions

FiberglassMonkey

Premium Member
Hello everyone. I've decided go come back to the salt side. I picked up a tank last week and wanted suggestions for plumbing. It's already plumbed, looks like 1in drains and .75 returns. I know I'm redoing the return for sure, will make manifold with individual valves but the drain portion, should I step up to 1.25 or 1.5in? Return is a 1252 eheim and tank is 56g with is say 20g sump. Its fairly quiet, and no real issue just since I'm doing the return I'll already be there to mess with the drain. I will put couplers in line either way i go. All help is appricated and thanks In advance.

welcome back!  I remember you saying you were gonna go the freshwater route.  Was it not challenging enough or did you just have some extra money laying around and decided to dive back in? lolMany setups have 1 1/4" durso drains that step down and utilize a 1" bulkhead.  They work surprisingly well.

Kinda a weird story but we went fresh water on the 225g, mbuna cichlid, and someone ended up running to our house with their car, everyone was ok. We took the 225g down (was In the room the car hit) and I just recently set up a 55g. Something about saltwater brings you back lol.They are 1in bulkhead with 1in durso. I might try the 1.5 route. I have a gurgle that hope will quite once broke in and filter socks in place.

As long as you have more than 1 hole for the return it should be really easy to make it silent if you have a gate valve.

What do you mean by higher or lower?  I like returns as close to the top as possible (to prevent back siphoning unless you have a siphon break, and even then).  Drains you want the gate valve on the lower drain.