Pictures

melev

Club President
Staff member
Board of Directors
Sponsor
[For your enjoyment. :D They are from my 29g with 165 PC lighting.

maxima2_20.jpg
alt="">

m_hispida2_20.jpg
alt="">

Marc]

[Kevin,

You're making me pull out the big guns now. I'll match your clam, your frag and your tang for my will-eat-anything mandarin, and I'll raise you my "Damsel - The Hunter".....

mandarin2_21.jpg
alt="">

damsel_thehunter.jpg
alt="">]

[@Marc wrote:
Kevin said:
All right, (wiping sweat from his forehead) the stakes are getting pretty high here. The morning light's got me against the wall and I'm running low, but I'll meet your damsel, and I'll raise you two mushroom.

damsel.jpg
alt="">

mushrooms.jpg
alt="">]

[I'll match your mushrooms with a colt frag ( you do not want to see the original, trust me ) and a Kenya tree.

Call. What'cha got? I've got <u>four of a kind</u>!

coltfrag2_22.jpg
alt="">

kenya2_22.jpg
alt="">]

[My hand:

shrooms2_22a.jpg
alt="">

shrooms2_22b.jpg
alt="">

shrooms2_22c.jpg
alt="">

shrooms2_22d.jpg
alt="">

:D :D :D :D]

@ck1 wrote:
[nice pictures!! what kind of cameras and settings are you two using? thanks] said:
[I just use an old Olympus. Its a 340Z or something like that. It has a good macro mode, but it eats batteries whole. I bought it used a few years ago. I used to do 35mm as a hobby, but its a lot more fun to do digital these days.]

[You beat me with Xenia?!?!?!? AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

Grin. That was fun.

Hey, if you're a 35mm hobbiest, I really do need to come hang out with you, because I'm still having trouble grasping the concept of aperature vs f-stop, etc... The problem is I only pick up my camera a few times a year, and forget everything! I have a Nikon F65 that I bought last summer, with macro and zoom. Maybe you can help me make sense of it all.

The pictures I posted, besides the Damsel and Mandarin, were taken with an HP 215 digital camera in macro mode. I use rechargeable batteries, because like Kevin pointed out, it'll go through 4 AAs in one to two sessions. I need to buy an extra set of those rechargeables so I have them ready. Instead, I use 'em til the camera cycles off, then charge them for 4 hours. :p]

@Marc wrote:
[You beat me with Xenia?!?!?!? AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!! Grin. That was fun. Hey said:
[Hey, all's fair in love and fish poker. :laugh:

I USED to be a 35mm hobbyist. It's been at least 4 years since I touched one. And mine wasn't auto at all. Why back in the old days, when I had to walk up-hill to school in a snowstom -- both ways -- Aperture and Fstop were basically the same thing. You could set the aperture size by using a particular Fstop setting. But now with auto apertures on most of the cameras, the camera sets the aperture for you. I think on most of them it's next to impossible to even set it. They don't even list Fstop settings on lens specs now. The benefit of setting the aperture manually is for macro shots, you want to see one particular subject and have everthing behind it completely out of focus, so you set a very small setting, like F5. You want everything to be super crisp and totally in focus, you use the highest aperture setting, like F11, and hope that you have LOTs of light. ;P But now, everything is computer controlled. You have sports mode or macro mode, and that seems to be about it, unless you're lucky enough to be able to set things manually.

You're welcome to pick my brain, but I can't promise how helpful I'll be. All this new-fangled un-snowstorm-worthy technology.]

[Got a new picture to add... This is a Trumpet coral, although I've been told it is called Caulestria. If you'll look closely, you can see the sweeper tentacles extended (took this picture about an hour ago, and only one 55w bulb was on -- simulating dawn), and you can see the second mouth in the left polyp head.

I've been watching this coral since I got it in December, and was sure I saw what looked like an extra mouth. So there it is! :p

caulestria_2mouth1.jpg
alt="">]

[Feeding the caulestria pictured above....

I looked at them with a flashlight, and those feeder / stinging tentacles were extended. I quickly thawed some brine shrimp while the timing was right, and with a dropper squeezed it over the two of them gently. Most of it washed away of course. Then my Cleaner Shrimp smelled it and came rushing over to steal it all from the corals! I held him at bay, and fed a little more so as to make sure they grabbed at least a shrimp or two.

About a minute later, that same Cleaner came from around the LR on the other side, hoping to sneak in under my hand. That didn't last long, and he made a quick retreat.

I decided that I better keep my hand in the way for the duration, because my Coral Banded Shrimp was surely next to arrive and stake a claim on the food. It probably took 5 minutes for the mouths to open wide and the food somehow slowly entered that gaping hole. The mouth was really big!

Still I stood guard and waited until the mouths on both heads were completely closed again so that nothing could try to pick the food out (Long Nose Hawkfish comes to mind, as well as both shrimp or even a rogue hermit).

The mouths closed and looked puckered up like they wanted to kiss me for finally feeding it real food. Then 30 minutes later, both heads were extremely swollen unlike I've ever seen before.

Mission accomplished. How often should I be doing this?]

[I'm using a simple HP215, but I'm keeping my eyes open for a nicer digital camera at a good price.]

[Time for some new pictures. I recently got a Lawnmower Blenny about 3 weeks ago. He decided to pose. :p

Also, my flame scallop that some of you saw in my refugium at the meeting, and a rock anemone that came with my 55g in November.

lawnmower_blenny1.jpg
alt="">

flame_scallop.jpg
alt="">

rock_anemone.jpg
alt="">]