Photosynthetic nematode plus salt crystals

I've noticed these tiny flatworms cruising around my fuges for years, but I've never caught one under the compound scope before now.

amphipod_basketball.jpg
alt="">

See the little boogie-board shaped worm in the upper right? They're about 0.5-3mm long. They're primarily autotrophic (photosynthetic), though most nematodes will occasionally munch on a critter smaller than themselves.

flatworm1.jpg
alt="">

See those golden structures? That's what makes them autotrophic. They're dinoflagellates living inside the nematode.

flatworm2.jpg
alt="">

These dinoflagellates have given up their flagella and their mobility. Thing is, if the nematode dies, the dino's can regrow their flagella and go about their merry way.

flatworm3.jpg
alt="">

The dinoflagellates use xanthophyll and β-carotene to convert light and co2 to complex sugars that the nematode uses for fuel. In return, the dinoflagellate gets a safe place to live.

flatworm4.jpg
alt="">

Yes, these are similar to the symbiodinium (zooxanthellae) living in coral tissues.

flatworm5.jpg
alt="">

If you look closely, you can see the nucleus of the dinoflagellate.

While I was motoring around, I noticed a drop of saltwater on the slide, so I thought it might prove interesting to watch it dry..

crystals1.jpg
alt="">

crystals2.jpg
alt="">

crystals3.jpg
alt="">

crystals4.jpg
alt="">

crystals5.jpg
alt="">