Phosban & Skimmer

TriggaFish99

Premium Member
I added a two phosban reactors (one phosban and one carbon) to my 300 gallon tank yesterday and my skimmer isn't skimming anymore. The bubbles are breaking more quickly (thin water type) and look like they aren't thickening as usual. I cleaned the skimmer before the addition, but it started skimming fairly quickly. It pulled about a normal amount. Then I added the phosbans the next day and haven't gotten skimmate since.

My phosphates were about at 1, nitrates about 10-15. Both tested the day before yesterday.

I realize that sometimes after a good cleaning, skimmers take some time to get back up to "normal" production. But mine did start skimming after the cleaning. Then after the phosban...nothing!

Is this normal? Does phosban effect skimmers like that?

I'm going to check my parameters again tomorrow.

I would check the parameters again. I just happen to add two phosban reactors also yesturday, and they stopped skimming for about 15 minutes.... then everything was back to normal again.

I've never notice dit but give it a couple days and then report back. I'm guessing it's just a breakin/temporary issue.