Phosban Reactor

Anybody using a Phosban Reactor? What are the advantages/disadvantages of having one? I am interested in running carbon, and thought that this might be the easiest way.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have one and I use it with phosban media and carbon.

advantages: helps remove phosphates and makes your water more clear

disadvantages: may need a separate pump to run it unless you tee it off a return line or something.

I have an extra one that I could part with for $20.

Landon,

another benefit is to battle "chemical warfare" between corals. I run 3 phosban reactors on my tank. 2 with 3 cups carbon, and 1 with Phosphate stuff.

I made a manifold out of PVC attachments and have a MJ1200 (300gph) powering the 3.

My water is crystal clear too.

Awesome, thanks for the help you guys. I am needing to run carbon, but maybe I can run both together. My water hasnt been as clear as I would like for it to be, so hopefully this will help.

Using a MJ1200 on a manifold is a neat idea. I will have to use that on the 2 I have. I run Rowaphos in one and carbon in the other.

@Tremelle wrote:
Using a MJ1200 on a manifold is a neat idea. I will have to use that on the 2 I have. I run Rowaphos in one and carbon in the other. said:
My manifold actually has 4 lines on it. 3 are meant for phosban reactors, and the 4th is a gangway valve (think that is the term anyway). I made it twice the width of tubing as the tubing going to the phosban reactors. I then open and close it as necessary to regulate how much water is forced through the 3 other valves (going to the reactors).

Right now I have the gangway valve fully closed so that all 300gph is going to the 3 reactors. Back when I had a Mag9.5 hooked up to it, I had the gangway fully opened.

I personally think that this extra line is necessary to truely regulate the flow through a manifold. I can take pics if anyone is interested.

Ya man..post away.

I got a "Y" from marine depot to hook up two (carbon/phos). Interested to see it.

I figured to place the reactor valves "pre" reactor so I can close one off and remove.

@BigSteve wrote:
Ya man..post away. I got a "Y" from marine depot to hook up two (carbon/phos). Interested to see it. I figured to place the reactor valves "pre" reactor so I can close one off and remove. said:
I will get some pics up tonight or tomorrow.

You will actually need ball valves on both ends of the lines unless you have each individual line independtly going back into the sump/tank. I have a 2nd manifold that the lines meet back up to after going through the reactors. This way only one line goes back to my sump.

As promised, just later than said :?

Hole through the wall. This is my bedroom closet. The tank is right on the other side of the wall. I originally did this for heat reasons from my chiller and MH ballast. Then added my auto-top off in here, and kept adding from there :) Baby-steps so the wife doesn't complain!
ClosetEquipmentandSiliconeonTank007.jpg
alt="">

First Manifold
ClosetEquipmentandSiliconeonTank005.jpg
alt="">

3 Phosban Reactors (hanging on the side of my auto-top-off system
ClosetEquipmentandSiliconeonTank008.jpg
alt="">

Second Manifold. This was so that only one tube has to go back through the hole and into the tank.
ClosetEquipmentandSiliconeonTank006.jpg
alt="">

Seems to work well. I haven't checked, but there are supposively more simplified manifolds for sale at aquaticeco.com. May be worth checking into.

Cliff