pH wont stay above 8

thedocisin

Premium Member
i have been following the pH with my Apex controller and cannot keep the pH over 8. Calibration is fine and correlates with test kit. It can rise transiently to 8.2 at night but during the day drops to 7.99. I thought this is opposite of what it's supposed to do? I have tried various 2 parts and now using Seachem Reef buffer and Reef Builder. my dKH is 9, Ca 450 and Mg 1300. Nitrate 5 and phosphate 0. I have a low bioload in my opinion for a 140 gal. Octopus skimmer is adequate for tank size. I'm curious for those who keep LPS/SPS how much supplement you are adding daily/weekly to keep pH stable. I have 0 polyp extension on SPS and I don't know what other parameter to address. Mark

Sounds opposite of what my tank is doing but your swing in PH is not really that bad. PH I would not try to chase a number on. Mine is 8-8.1 in the day but at night drops to 7.8. Recently it has started to drop to 7.6 so I found that I needed to keep my Co2 down to do this I have added an air scrubber to bring more O2 into the skimmer. I'm thinking about adding a refugium to also help combat my issues at night and run light opposite of display. Also just make sure you are dosing what your tank uses each day. I've now switched to a cal rector so hard to say how much I dose daily. Before I was using about 1 gallon of all and cal from BRS a month. I had it on drews dosers with apex dosing all day long. I know for me I would love to have your PH readings.

Sent from pay phone in the airport.