PH swings

Anyone know what would cause wild PH swings?
My ph was at 8.0 when I left home this morning.
When I came back around 6, it was slightly under 7.5.

I just walked past the tank and it's 6.99

Any idears? :lol:

Maybe you don't have enough air circulation in the house. Also, add more pump for waterflow to increase the circulation the water to move the oxygen. Moreover, you have livestocks that are stress which may caused them to consume more oxygen which than lowers your pH.

Tri is on to something.. I had a solid PH it did not move at all EVEVER..
One day I dcided to slow down the Air input to the mas and BAM PH went down...

Also I was reading an article that the refuge light should be on when the others are off (exept moon) as this helps to maintain the PH level so it seems light has something to do with it...

I am new and you can take what i saw with a grain of salt but it happened to me and i dug and that is what i found

I've checked the parameters. Everything is consistant. Nothing has died, temp in the house has been the same.. Only difference is I've turned the chiller back on because the water temps were getting too high over the past week.

Today the ph is still at 6.99.. Do I need to aerate the display tank more or could I do the sump? I've got a small air pump thats been running on the skimmer for a while - dont know if that will make a difference

if nothing died. I would lean toward what Tri is saying, but if nothing has environmentally changed, you also may want to check or calibrate your ph probe

Have you calibrated the meter? Pull it out and make sure no algae or salt or other build up in showing on the probe. Probes last about a year and then tend to drift out of calibration quickly.

I doubt your tank is 6.99. That is slightly acidic and you would have lots of distressed corals.

@gmax wrote:
Have you calibrated the meter? Pull it out and make sure no algae or salt or other build up in showing on the probe. Probes last about a year and then tend to drift out of calibration quickly. I doubt your tank is 6.99. That is slightly acidic and you would have lots of distressed corals. said:
I actually calibrated it two nights ago.. I figured out what the problem was today... I'm using the ph controller right now until I replace my other meter. Somehow the switch got stuck between "read" and low. When I switched it from read to low and back, it immediately started to register 8.05