Pete's Plumbing Your Reef thread

psteeleb

Premium Member
This thread will start with the presentation material I used for the October 2012 club meeting. Feel free to ask you questions here, and I'll do my best to answer them. This way everyone can learn from our collective experiences

[attachment=2]reef pipe_Page_01.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]reef pipe_Page_02.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]reef pipe_Page_03.jpg[/attachment]

pages 4, 5 & 6

[attachment=2]reef pipe_Page_04.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]reef pipe_Page_05.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]reef pipe_Page_06.jpg[/attachment]

pages 7, 8 & 9

[attachment=2]reef pipe_Page_07.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]reef pipe_Page_08.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]reef pipe_Page_09.jpg[/attachment]

pages 10, 11 & 12

[attachment=2]reef pipe_Page_10.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]reef pipe_Page_11.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]reef pipe_Page_12.jpg[/attachment]

pages 13, 14 & 15

[attachment=2]reef pipe_Page_13.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]reef pipe_Page_14.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]reef pipe_Page_15.jpg[/attachment]

pages 16, 17 & 18

[attachment=2]reef pipe_Page_16.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]reef pipe_Page_17.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]reef pipe_Page_18.jpg[/attachment]

pages 19, 20 & 21

[attachment=2]reef pipe_Page_19.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]reef pipe_Page_20.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]reef pipe_Page_21.jpg[/attachment]

Thanks for posting this. I wasn't able to attend so I'm looking forward to reading over it.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

sign0173.gif
alt="">
clap.gif
alt="">

Is there any way to calculate loss from an in-line chiller? I know that is a bit of a loaded question as I'm sure it depends on the make of chiller and size of the chiller.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

@MBSL55 wrote:
Is there any way to calculate loss from an in-line chiller? I know that is a bit of a loaded question as I'm sure it depends on the make of chiller and size of the chiller. Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2 said:
correct - it does depend on the chiller but a lot of them run the tank water into a larger pipe (like 4") with a set of titanium freon filled lines inside the 4". The friction loss is hard to calculate exactly but as the water is going into a larger area the velocity drops, therefore friction/ pressure loss will also drop to a point that it may be less per foot then the pipe that feeds it. If this kind of describes the chiller you have I would just account for the distance the water travels as if you pipe was just going through the chiller and add an elbow or two depending on where the exit is.

Thanks Pete. I forgot about the elbows leading into and out of chiller in my calculations

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I was very disappointed when I was unable to make this presentation. Pete, thanks you for posting this. I know I will get quite a bit of use out of it as I plumb my big system, as will many others. Thanks again.

Mods, I would like to nominate this to be a sticky. I don't know very many people who couldn't use this to some degree, especially anyone who is new to plumbing a tank or someone upgrading and wanting to do the plumbing side correctly. Just my 2 cents.

Agreed as to a sticky. This is all great information.

Pete: Another question for you: I am running Mag 12's for my return pumps. Both are plumbed with mostly 3/4" PVC and then flex tube to make some connections. My question is would I really gain anything by using 1" where I can if I have to go down to 3/4" at a couple of locations? With my setup, I could go 1" from the pump to my manifold that feeds and returns from my chiller but the chiller inputs and outputs are 3/4". I could also make the section that leads from the manifold to the bottom of the tank 1" but would then have to drop down to 3/4" again once I get to the return line that is in the overflow and leads to the lockline. I've noticed a lot of drop from the return that is connected to the chiller. Alternatively, the Mag 12 and 18 share the same motor block and just have a different impeller so I could turn the Mag 12 into a Mag 18 easily enough with an impeller swap. Thoughts?