Par readings and coral preferences?

What are you guys using to read par in your tanks? The devices we mostly found were around 3k! The other one we saw was affordable, but doesn't seem too accurate according to the husband.

I ask because my lighting system is a dimmable led system from rapidled. I was given a link from another forum that has the same system as mine, same size tank, his part readings at the top were 700 for just the whites when they were turned up all the way. Is there a place where I can learn how high of a par reading corals prefer? specifically if like to know how strong I'd need to run my lights to have either a crocea or maxima clam. Every thing I read online says "strong" or "intense" lighting......that description doesn't help much. Already bleached 2 sps frags partially, don't wanna do it again. Luckily they are recovering though..... Thanks!

We have a PAR meter available for checkout however, it is a member's only benefit. Coral's have to be acclimated slowly, you can start with lower level's light 50% then ramp up a percent or two every week or so to prevent light shock.

Cheers,

ahhh one of these days I'll get a paid membership. If I may ask, how much is that par meter?

The leds are alot stronger than I thought they were! Right now I'm only running them at 50%, and the corals are growing like crazy and the anemones are doing fantastic. I want some different sps though, and a pretty clam one day, those are a little more difficult to figure out, I'm finding.

forgot to add, I did start lowering the light intensity for the new corals at first, as well as putting them at the bottom of the tank and moving them to the desired place in the tank eventually :)

I would encourage the membership. It's worth it and it has its benefits for sure.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk