Pappone Method

@bimmerzs wrote:
Wondering what happened to all of the diehard pappone users.......are they now vodka dosing their tank's. :D Cheers said:
What do you use???
drunk.gif
alt="">

@washingtond wrote:
[I]@bimmerzs wrote:[/I][quote="Wondering what happened to all of the diehard pappone users.......are they now vodka dosing their tank's. :D Cheers said:
What do you use???
drunk.gif
alt="">"]

Fish poop, a lil' reef frenzy, a lil' cyclopeeze and another coral food. Varied food's for the fish.

Cheers,

I quit using pappone and started using rotifers.
I think Robert still uses a hybrid recipe with some suppliments. He is still the resident King of sps IMHO

I developed a nasty case of dinos after my 2nd dose of pappone that the system never recovered from and ultimately crashed. No more of that stuff for me.

Vodka dosing doesn't really feed the corals like pappone does. I never made a batch a pappone since and I started using oyster feast, rotifeast and arcticpods. I guess when they run out I will try rods food next.

The reported sucess of pappone was likely in very low nutrient tanks. Given that the most sucessful antecdotal tanks were Italian, they were likely using a probidio or zeo filtration system. The increase in autotrophic bacteria was the likely way that theses systems could handle the biologic loads.

I have been making my own food for the last 4 years which in essence is a poppone like method, but there is still no substitute for excellent water quality, approprate chemistry, light and flow. I don't believe in lemming reefing. Stick to the basics with SPS and your system will do very well, the problems begin when you lose your attention to the details and/or stop doing water changes.

@Servo wrote:
I don't believe in lemming reefing. Stick to the basics with SPS and your system will do very well said:
Amen brother,

I'm no expert but it seems like a lot of folks jump into these method's for the wrong reasons while conveniently overlooking the pesky detail's.

Cheers,

The wrong reasons are always fast results. I can't say that I blame people, if there was a way to take a 1 inch stick and grow it into a small 4 inch colony in a year, I would do it to. The reality is-other than in the ocean, there is no perfect system and we struggle to give these organisms a suboptimal environment.

@Servo wrote:
The wrong reasons are always fast results. I can't say that I blame people said:
What I see is folks jumping on this to lower nitrate/phosphate issues which were caused by overfeeding and overstocking. They get the nitrates/phosphates down and first thing they do is add another fish, feeding even more thus perpetuating the cycle. It takes a lot of discipline to vodka dose, I don't see why some can't use that same discipline to avoid some of the root causes to their problem.

Cheers,