Paly eating habits

McReefer

Membership Expired
I've always spot fed my tanks and have seen all kinds of reactions from corals. One thing that I was reminded of tonight is how certain palys will tank chucks of meat and some will only take a light mist of fine food. I have one paly in my rank that will tank down a whole mysis shrimp and others that will only feed on slurry. Does this come down to a class of palys? Has anyone else noticed this?

I spot feed papone which is a mush, never thought about trying to feed a whole mysis to a paly though. I used to feed them sinking pellets when I had colonies of them. I'll be getting some mysis now just to see, I know my LPS love brine.

I have.... 14 types of palys. Only one will eat anything bigger then a grain of sand. This one.
[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378863795.181096.jpg[/attachment]

They have more pink in them then my iPhone will pick up.

I spot feed my sun coral and hammer coral regularly. Occasionally, I'll direct some cyclops toward some of the other corals. Some of my zoas and palys will accept the food when I direct it at them and others really don't seem to care. I think it depends on the species. For the most part zoas and palys are photosynthetic, but some may have evolved to be complete so while others evolved also accept food.

I put mine in high traffic areas for the fish where nutrients will be easier to retrieve from fish and food

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

@FatWrasse wrote:
I put mine in high traffic areas for the fish where nutrients will be easier to retrieve from fish and food Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2 said:
I only have 2 fish and they stay in there cave. I've always kept the fish count low since I care for coral more. And I always make sure to buy fish that don't pick or anything so when the food is on the chalice or paly it has time to suck it down.