overzealous with sand bed

sublime-1

Membership Expired
Got a little over zealous with the sand bed in my new 120.

It's by far the deepest I've ever created.

I've never run a DSB, nor do I know if these even qualifies, as a DSB. Anyone wanna offer any particularly insightful hints on special care ?

I'm particularly concerned post-cycle about how much CuC to add, to keep the DSB good and recycled.

Thanks,

sandbed-1.jpg
alt="">
sandbed-2.jpg
alt="">
sandbed-3.jpg
alt="">
sandbed-4.jpg
alt="">

5 inches + is considered a DSB... Looks like you are there... The sand is a large filter, over dosing will seep into the sand and collect, so strive to keep a balance... It is like a compost pile, feeding on wast, but this one you don't want to turn over or stir.

Thanks guys

You've always been a good support group for my anal retentiveness

I got about 1/2 a 5 gallon bucket of crushed coral from a member, who had let it set out after a tank break down. So I rinsed it and tossed the snail shells and coral (smelled like sewer death)

Rinsed the sand with 30 gallons of RO and used it as a base

Then I got 2 buckets of fine aragonite from DNA from a customer consigned tank, it had been rinsed with tap water so I spread it out on a tarp on my patio and aired it out overnight. That was about 80lbs worth

Rinsed it with RO, and packed it loose on top of the original 1".

This was enough to be up to about 3-1/2" average, but 4" in some places (corners)

Last I bought a bag of Arag-alive and pitched it in the corners and in the front and back of the tank for some diversity

I like the contrast look from the sides and having a nutrient sink for a medium sized reef is a good thing....