Out of the Ashes comes a 1100 Gallon fowlr

clekchau

Premium Member
Summary: House burned to the ground last August started in aquarium room, cause was determined to be a faulty strip that was powering the LED lights although it was 3:30 am in the morning and lights were off.

I was out of town on business thank god wife and daughter got out ok they barely found each other and made it. Unfortunately all our possessions and precious inside animals perished including 4 dogs, 3 parrots, 2 cats and thousands of dollars worth of mature saltwater(550 gallon fowlr) and freshwater (600 gallon cichlid) fish.

Before the fire
null_zps3ce6de49.png
alt="">

Fire:
null_zps5b8055bf.png
alt="">

After the fire:

Back of house
null_zps8998a38e.jpg
alt="">

Aquarium room burned to the ground, steel stand remains but everything else including entire aquarium melted
null_zps479b88e5.jpg
alt="">

It's surreal looking back and what we have been thru the last 6 months losing everything and starting over. We are blessed that my wife and daughter made it out but still very traumatized by the events and loss of our family pets.

We are rebuilding a house on another plot of land, house build is in process, slab should be done end of next week. New aquarium has already been ordered, it will be bigger than before.

So how do they know it was led lights? Could it have been water on the power strip?

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

How awful. For most people, this is your worst nightmare.

I'm not sure if it was the strip light it was a gfci strip not some dollar store one, but i guess i will never know, insurance company had investigators and that was their final conclusion.

it is a nightmare but could have been alot worse, they say 80% of people asleep during a fire never make it out, we were so lucky so i feel blessed on that end.

Check into adding a residential fire sprinkler system into your new home. Not much more than doing a upgrade on your carpet during the build. From a fireman, take my word for it. I tried to get my builder to just plumb a line so I could install one after home purchase and they were so ignorant about it they wouldn't consider it.

New beginning, bought some land in October 2013, building a new house
null_zps08a01804.jpg
alt="">

Plot after leveled, waiting on soil test before digging the pillars for foundation
meU2DXK.jpg
alt="">

Dug trench for underground electric wires. Brought steel fence from old house and installed it also.
oFak3vF.jpg
alt="">

Aquarium has been built: 15' long x 4' wide by 30" high , acrylic.
0OCSA5I.jpg
alt="">
5sXghPc.jpg
alt="">

the funny thing about the aquarium, my wife doesn't know about the aquarium size, she knows i'm getting one but she missed the size when reviewing the house plans, wait till she finds out [smilie=lipssealed.gif]
vp27gm6.jpg
alt="">

to support aquarium and overall have a solid base, 42 pillars were drilled, 10 feet deep, 12" wide:
GhJEa0U.jpg
alt="">

plumbing, forms and ditches, rebar
8iRSE2i.jpg
alt="">

foundation
CogovRR.jpg
alt="">
4Ct3rAc.jpg
alt="">

@clekchau wrote:
I'm not sure if it was the strip light it was a gfci strip not some dollar store one said:
Hopefully the insurance company won't be giving you a hard time? How's the experience been working with them?

@joelq wrote:
[I]@clekchau wrote:[/I][quote="I'm not sure if it was the strip light it was a gfci strip not some dollar store one said:
Hopefully the insurance company won't be giving you a hard time? How's the experience been working with them?"]

Insurance company was great to work with, total loss on structure and contents etc , I was surprised how smooth that went.

aquarium on stand, still have to move it in place as it will be a room divider, this is the initial spot it was unloaded. it took a forklift and many people to move, 15 foot long by 4 feet wide, 30" high. steel stand was a beast to move also.
xe4TGaT.jpg
alt="">

framing is almost done
GF0MiaV.jpg
alt="">

Note the guy below the aquarium, he looks tired from moving that beast in place :D
DCKk6wT.jpg
alt="">

next steps, finish framing, start on roof, exterior doors and windows

Sure it can it's only 4 feet wide and there will be double doors in the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW sorry to hear about your loss but at least your family got out. Being a Fire Fighter it is hard to express how lucky your family was to get out. Im glad that you are starting a new house and new tank build and cant wait to watch this come together.

Do you plan on keeping this updated? If so do you mind if it is moved to the build thread?

Yes I will keep updating it, sure it can be moved. The setup will be a minimalist fowlr setup with angels, tangs, a few wrasses and triggers and a big puffer like a mappa. I estimate a few years before it's fully stocked and stabilized.

The build slowed down after the frame was up or maybe we were just impatient, the inspection of the electrical, ac and plumbing took awhile.

My two outside dogs survived the fire, after 8 months being boarded, they are finally home (since the water and outside fence was built we wanted to move them in to get adjusted plus we missed them alot)
nvtDI4C.jpg
alt="">

Fire Hydrant almost done, city required this since we are 900 feet away from the main street, don't ask me how much this cost... ugh
JbNeSPN.jpg
alt="">

Stone, was a mixture of 45% Oklahoma, 45% millcreek and 10% ripple (cool reddish rippled stone)
luT57m8.jpg
alt="">

Brick arrived shortly after, it's old time brick from Hanson brick called Cajun French
K2djDxH.jpg
alt="">

Drywall almost done, should be painted white by this Sunday
G9CrMRQ.jpg
alt="">

Tile is here, 2800 square feet's worth
xa2uzTg.jpg
alt="">

They are mason's are starting on the stone and brick today, they said it should be 7 days until completion, here is how it's looking so far
ZOWnloe.jpg
alt="">

By the next post hopefully we will be much closer to getting that certificate of occupancy.

Sorry for your loss, but, it is amazing how you have perservered and are re-building ... congrats and the house looks amazing. What did the wife say when she first saw the tank?

That's the funny thing she didn't look at the plans that well and didn't realize the aquarium took up an entire wall!

We moved in back in July but it's been non stop construction ever since

Front
AnSgCEW.jpg
alt="">

Back
lCgIcWh.jpg
alt="">

Driveway
JKocEtB.jpg
alt="">

Mastiff 'puppies' home
pvriGXL.jpg
alt="">

Back fence
zLbbkju.jpg
alt="">

Exploring new property
uKq9xsi.jpg
alt="">

Front gate
6fUTQAi.jpg
alt="">

This is not what wife had in mine when I told her I got her a big rock =D
Ii4XtZ3.jpg
alt="">

Haven't done much with aquarium, for now built wall

iR3B5Rq.jpg
alt="">

4WPN35c.jpg
alt="">

Drywall done
cMcvbln.jpg
alt="">

Was going to make it a corner but huge pier beam in the way, made a viewing window instead

5W1a14j.jpg
alt="">

Stoning of wall in progress
s4B2UX9.jpg
alt="">

Stoning placement finished, grout and sealer later this week
0Nye8ts.jpg
alt="">