noob nano reef questions

hey guys whats up? i am just setting up my nano reef 10gallons to be exact got some questions tho. first i hear u are suppose to have 1 to 2lbs of live rock per gallon right now i have a 4 lb rock but i got about 20lbs of live sand would the sand count as live rock or do i still need more rock?second i know it will take a while to cycle but dureing that time do i need to do water changes or add anything to it or just let it do its thing? thanks

Thy pound of rock per gallon rule is pretty worthless IMO. All rock is different and personally I would just put enough in there to where you are happy with the aquascaping. And the live sand does help with filtration, but just put enough in there to where you have 1" - 2" deep of sand. I am a fan of a DSB, but there others that think it's bad, donuts up to you in the end.

The 1-2lb per gallon is a suggestion not a requirement, but it provides biological filtration so another couple pounds wouldn't hurt. AS for the cycle some people will throw a piece of raw shrimp in from the grocery store to get it started, but no water changes until the cycle is over.

The other thing you could try is The Fritz turbo-start method for cycling. Im not familiar with it but if you do a search on the boards you will find it.

Sent from my MyTouch4g