New Tank - 2nd Fish Dying within 3 weeks

I have a nanocube 24gal tank that we cycled for 5 weeks before adding any coral or fish. We had our water tested every week by Mid-Cities Aquarium to be sure it was ready for live stock. We added the below stock on November 8th and had a False Percula Clown die 3 weeks ago. Our Lawnmower Blenny has been getting skinner since we purchased him so we started adding Algae sheets a week ago but he will not eat them. He did appear to eat algae off the rocks and off the back of the tank. He has been laboring for about 2 days now and appears he might not make it through the night because he does not have energy to swim. We also have a Yellow Polyp that slowly has lost its polyps. Everything else in the tank appears to be doing fine but I am concerned.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to what might be going on in the tank?

I started adding Kent Marine drops part A and B just before Thanksgiving. When I first started I was adding them daily (this went on for a week) but was educated to only add 2 times a week.

Nov. 8th add:
Fish: False Percula, Lawnmower Blenny and 3 snails
Coral: Yellow Polyp, Star Polyp, Torch, Red Mushrooms, Kenya Tree and a Toadstool
The tank temp is at 78 and has a protein skimmer and sponge filters.

Pic of Blenny

No test kit on hand. I know that really hurts in this situation. I plan to buy one first thing in the morning.

What are you feeding the tank and how often? It is best to make sure that the fish is eatting In the store. Sometime new fish can be very finicky eaters and you need to see what the store has been feeding the fish that way you can feed it the same stuff to help them acclimate to your tank at home. That brings me to aclimation. Are you just tossing the fish inthe tank or are you drip acclimating them. By drip acclimating them you reduce the stress on the fish when introducing them to your tank.

I am not sure what drip acclimating means but I followed the instruction from the fish store. I left them in their bag and let them float for 5 minutes then added 1 cup of tank water and let them float for another 5 minutes. Continued this process 3 more times until we hit the 20 minute mark then we added them to the tank. Is this considered drip acclimating? If not would you mind explaining it?

I really appreciate the help.

I was feeding the clown brine shrimp and he was eating it. Was not feeding the blenny anything unitl last week and started adding algae sheets. Also adding the Kent Marine drops part A and B twice a week.

If your water quality is fine, other common reasons of death would be
- lack of oxygen. Do you have enough flow and circulation
- some kind of parasite. Check for ick, fungal infection....
- lack of food.

My guess is your percale died of ick and lawnmower is gist starved. They eat only algae, at least in my tank, and the picture, the tank looks very sterile.

Other question, are you dosing anything else? You do not need to dose anything for the softies that you have. 5 gallon weekly water change will.

You need to do some reading. Here are what I would recommend, which won't take you long at all:

What you need to know to set up a saltwater aquarium: http://www.melevsreef.com/tanks.html (just read it over for a good overview; you know most of it already)

What water parameters should be, and what to test for: http://www.melevsreef.com/parms.html

Proper feeding techniques (this one is longer, but worth your time): http://www.melevsreef.com/feedings.html

The clownfish could have died for any number of reasons. The lawnmower blenny is no doubt starving and can't find the film algae it wants to eat. They may eat nori, but that isn't their norm and it may be too late to try to show him something new.

You definitely need test kits as soon as you can afford them, but for now take a water sample to your favorite fishstore and pay them to test all the water parameters for you. Write down the results so you can track them.

Your dosing system should be daily, not twice a week. It is a very specific number, but you have to test to measure what is happening to find the correct dosage and dial that in for daily replenishment.

I do have plenty of flow in the tank. How do I test for ick or other infection? He was eating algae off the rocks and I was adding an algae sheet every other night but he never fed on it. Could the Kent Marine drops part A and B kill fish? It seems the clown became ill once I started adding them but I was adding daily. Now its twice a week and I change my water, 5 gal, every other week.

Thanks for help.

Marc - thanks for all the reading info. I will read all of it and buy a test kit tomorrow. At this point will the blenny feed or is there anything I could do to help it?

Have you tried a frozen food blend. It has brine, Mysis, seaweed, and a bunch of other stuff plus fortifying vitamins that may help with the health of the fish. Brine shrimp alone isn't going to have enough substance to keep the fish healthy.

I don't suppose the blenny will eat mysis or brine shrimp will it? Should I leave an algae in there tonight or do you think it is too late?

one more thing - don't lose your heart. I would suggest takign blenny back to LFS. I would not bring Blenny till you have enough algae...

continue with water changes, and the readings that mark suggested. Add green Chromis for a month to six weeks, before adding any fishes back.

Both of my blennies eat anything in the different saltwater multipack frozen cubes along with live brine shrimp. My starry night blenny even tries to eat whole mussels, clams and large shrimps with my puffer. It is worth a shot soaking your food in some garlic and then spot feeding your blenny. I hope he gets better!

if you need a hotel for him to stay at till you get your tank straight let me know... ill qt him for a week and make sure he is ok and then he can kick it in my tak till your ready for him!!

Thanks to everyone for the help and input with this issue but he did not make it through the night. Tough situation. I will do more reading, add green Chromis and give it some time before I add any other fish.

Thanks again to all of you.

yeah good luck on everything and if you have any ?s before you add anything else or jsut wnana know... feel free to ask!!! i see your new to the forum and i have found there to be a lot of great people here and very supportive!! also maybe come out to the meeting next month and see how you like that and plenty of info to pick up!!!

I can't thank all of you enough for the help and support. I will check out the meetings and look to join after the first of the year.

I hope all of you have a wonderful holiday season.

@BugGuy wrote:
I am not sure what drip acclimating means but I followed the instruction from the fish store. I left them in their bag and let them float for 5 minutes then added 1 cup of tank water and let them float for another 5 minutes. Continued this process 3 more times until we hit the 20 minute mark then we added them to the tank. Is this considered drip acclimating? If not would you mind explaining it? I really appreciate the help. said:
I don't think you're acclimating them long enough. 20 mins doesn't seem like enough time for the fish to get entirely use to your water. Usually when I acclimate them i float the bag for about 10-15mins so the temp is just right and then take 1cup out of the bag and add 1 cup of the tank water in and let it float for another 15 min. I continue this process until i hit an hour. That's how i acclimate my fish and it seems to work for me.