New RO filter System

yasser

Membership Expired
have anyone saw this new RO filter?

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1MERLIN

this new RO filter can give you up to 700 galons per day, have anyone got it already . this will change the whole idea of buying water from the store anymore. i have called GE and they told me water comes from this filter is reef safe.
i also found the techincal data for this filter here
http://www.gewater.com/pdf/membrane/12266624en.pdf

please let me know what yall thinking

thanks

Sounds good but you will also need the pressure pump...

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/PVP5501-IVN2-V77UL

That's $700+ for the whole package.... :sad:

nop .. you dont need the pump if you want 700 Galon per day . but if you need 1100 galon perday yes you need the pump which is mooooore than you need.

@yasser wrote:
$379.00 for that ? Like my dad said there is a sucker born every minute.
Do yourself a favor and forget you even saw that advertisement.
You are paying for the design on this unit and that IMO is not important.
What you are wanting is a quality RO/DI water with a 0 TDS reading, RIGHT?

Marc sells RO/DI combo units and you can get 2 of them for the cost of that unit.
Ebay sells a 6 stage unit for under $100 bucks.

David, I think what he finds so appealing is it can produce 700 gpd, compared to our more common 100gpd units.

well i got the filter last week and i installed it . it took me only 30 min . and then i started it. and i left it running for 3 min like they told me. and then i tested the water TDS it was 0.5 .... much better than the RO/DI. i had before. i made a 40 gallon water change . it took me 20 min to get it. and the RO water keeps coming . this is a new technology for Home and Fish at the same time. the RO membrane Last for 3 years. and the other one for 6 month and it coast only 25$ .

i love it . and i find 379$ not bad at all comparing to other brands in the market.

But if you just need one for your tank . after a long Search and comparing models . i found that Marc's RO/DI unit is the Best

thanks

Not to take anything away from Marc's unit (as it is very good) but all RO membranes are made by only 2 companies in the US. You can get clear housings, different DI and postfilter etc but the membrane itself is the key and they are pretty much all created equal. A 100GPD one from Kent is no beter than one from Specrapure or whoever.

That GE membrane is quite interesting I must admit! It would be nice to be able to pump it out that fast. I would be better on my water changes for sure.

What is the reject ratio on it? Edit: Just saw 3:1. Not bad. Must not buy toys, must not buy toys!!!!

well. all i was saying is that it was good for the price. and also i need to add that Water quality is #1 factor in the Saltwater World Success. we spend tons of money on other Equipment and stuff . and when it comes to water. we start looking for the low price stuff. i dont agree with that. i rather spend more money on the water quality and have something handy at any time , rather than wait and wait and get only 3 gallons every hr . you guys will tell me get a tank and float valves and store the water , and do that and this,. well. i just saved all of that and got this new GE unit. which i think it will change the whole idea of buying water from the store,

thanks

Post a picture of your unit, I'd like to see it if possible.

Yasser,
I bought my Typhoon from air water and ice and love it.
Your unit has TWO TFC membranes in it and still you are only getting .5 TDS reading.
Only one carbon and no sediment filter. Your water production is higher then my 4 gallon every 45 minutes sure but I think because of the lack of the other charcoal filter and sediment filter that you are missing on your unit my membrane will last longer and produce 0 TDS for a longer period of time with my RO/DI filter combo.
If you are wanting 0 TDS then add a DI filter to the end of that unit.
Lets see how long this unit will provide a 005 TDS reading without a DI filter.

Marc
Here is the photo of the unit.
merlin_1jpg
alt="">

There are 4 companies off the top of my head right now that make membranes in the USA.
FilmTec
Hydranautics
GE
Omnipure
I am sure there are others making them now, but Dow FilmTec is known for there great quality RO membranes.
TFC is a type of membrane and yes DOW makes that type also, along with other compies.

Not to answer for him, but I do. When my 6 stage DI goes above 6ppm I can tell by looking at my tank. I can see little blooms of algea starting to form...this algae never happens unless my ppm start to rise...I keep lots of SPS and it makes the difference for me

Boy, that thing is crazy looking. I like it. What kind of expenses do you anticipate? Since you've done the homework, tell us what you foresee in filters and membrane replacements. I'm still impressed that it does 700gpd, or 29g per hour.

@yasser wrote:
Nautilus! do you really need 0 TDS for your Reef?? just a question? said:
Yes, no only yes but hell yes!

When I see 001 I change the filters. If I leave it alone and it gets to 002 I can see a big difference in the corals.

Interested to see how many gallons you produce before a filter change is needed. Please keep testing the TDS and post those readings as I am sure if this unit holds on to the 005 TDS for a long time people here would be interested in that unit and add a DI filter to get the 0 TDS reading.

i dont think there is a DI unit will be able to keep up for this unit. most DI unites i saw has 1/4 inch pipe . the moerlin unit has 1/2 inch pipe.

and after talking to GE for about 30 min on the phone. they assure me that this unit will give me 0.5 TDS for at least 2 years before i change the membrane. they told me its is garantee. and i trust them. they even give you 3 years residential warranty. other RO systems they give you only 1 year.

You could easily get that flow through 1/4" pipe.

An add on DO at the end is a good idea to remove anything the RO might have missed. Should last forever if it is getting 0.5 TDS water!

well thanks to kwl1763 . i found a DI unit that will work on a 3/8 inch pipe. and i asked the company they said it wont reduce the amount of water, only the RO membrane reduces the water flow rate

thanks