New Pics - 6 Month update

sublime-1

Membership Expired
Ok,

I know some of you saw my original thread on my 120G Build. It's been a long road so far, but my recent efforts have been paying off. I have added ZERO livestock since the build so a clean up crew will be on my list once my temps stabilize. (i just had my chiller sent in for repair.)

Here are some pics after 6 months.

Now, keep in mind I just replaced a flakey skimmer due to some nutrient build up issues, so I am still fighting off a little leftover hair algae. I am still learning as I go and my tank and I are still getting used to each other. I have a few spots of red slime, that I can't get rid of. That stuff just up and pops up on the sand bed in the oddest places.

Alternate lighting schedules and a new skimmer are slowly killing it off. But I know I am going to need a good clean up crew to get the balance back.

Everything else seems to be doing well, except the Green BTA. It started out Bright Neon Green, dyed to a light whitish brown, and it's now starting to get some color back with a healthy combo of good skimming, proper nutrition, and a better lighting schedule.

My galaxia, Torch, and GSP are insane. They have all tripled since I got them in October / Nov.

Any comments are welcome. Also, my Bright Green Neon GSP is taking over so I am going to be culling some frags, I cut one frag to see how it would tolerate it, and it's doing great.

Full Tank Shot - Today
tank-03102008.jpg
alt="">

Galaxia (right) and GSP
Gal-star.jpg
alt="">

Sickly Green BTA (it's coming around tho)
Green-BTW.jpg
alt="">

GSP and my Neon Green Torch
Star-Torch.jpg
alt="">

The Frag I cut from the GSP Colony. Prolly have 4 more of these if anyone is interested
star-frag.jpg
alt="">

:D Looking good!

I am still learning as I go and my tank and I are still getting used to each other said:
I was wondering if you could expand on this. I think it is very important that new people in the hobby understand that there is no "sure fire" way to have a sucessful reef.

What are your goals with this tank? Is it going to be a mixed reef (SPS, LPS, softies, fish, inverts)? If you are going to exclude some types of animals could you post why?

Would it be possible for you to list what your tank's equipment consists of and how it has changed from start to now?

You touched on the "nutrient problem" and how it resulted in hair algae. From the way your post reads, I can tell you have a plan and are heading in that direction.

What problems have you incurred and what have the steps been to manage each of them?

I know this is a lot of information to post on your part, but I think the club will benefit from them.
Thanks

I don't have a goal as far as environment, species specific or otherwise.
I plan to stay predominantly with Soft Corals and some (few) LPS.

Along with a few "target fish" I plan to keep.

I currently have
FISH
2 x Yellow tailed Damsels (Ike and Tina)
Mated Pair of GSM (Benny and Joon)

inverts
Cleaner Shrimp (Rambo)
3 x Peppermint Shrimp (Larry, Darryl and Darryl)
Sally Lightfoot Crab (Sally)
Strawberry Crab (Strawberry Shortcake)

Corals
10" x 8" Neon GSP Colony
6" x 4" Galaxia Coral
3 headed Torch Coral

and My Big ole Green BTA

All of these, with possibly the exception of the BTA, are much more tolerant to neglect and swings in parameters than SPS, and although I have powerful lighting, alot of water volume and the resources to do it, I don't really have a love jones for SPS anyway. I enjoy celebrating others' successes with these animals.

There is plenty of color, and variety in Soft Corals, and in Large Polyp Stonies to keep me interested.

As for getting yourself acclimated, it's important to remember that everyone's experience is unique. There is alot to be gained, mind you, by paying attention to what you read, and asking lots of questions helps.

However, don't get hard and set on the idea that "Oh My Gawd, Marc's Params are 79.9 degree's, 8.3 PH, 460 Calcium and 800 Watts of 12k Metal Halide" I MUST be doing something wrong.

As I said, everyone's experience is unique, and until you observe and understand what your tank is doing, in your home, you have no idea how to approach it, at least not realistically.

Case in point, I have had an issue with slime algae and hair algae for going on 3 months. Not an invasive issue, but a nuisance. It all started with a weekend I went out of town, and came back to find hair growing on my LocLine and Powerheads . After that a lot of busy work travel, and before you know it, I am 6-7 weeks out from my last 20Gallon water change.

What did I do ? I fished as much of it out as I could, and waited. And waited, and waited. It's just like moss, seaweed, kelp, grass, weeds, its just going to grow back if conditions persist. So rather than waste a bunch of test kits finding out my Nitrates are 25 - 30, and my water temp is swinging 4-degrees a day...I wait

Then, waddya know, it starts growing on the glass, and in crevices. So I fished it out again...

and waited, and waited.

And then I started seeing these little slimey turds on my sand bed, and they were bubbly, and gross, and were difficult to get out without breaking into little pieces to get blown around.

So, I turned off my Powerheads, turned off my skimmer, and broke out a stainless strainer and proceeded to skim the sandbed, like you would a swimming pool.

Now what I am getting at is there are a dozen folks, who'll give you a dozen ways to approach this. From "buy xxx kind of shrimp/crab/fish" to, buy this super duper $600 skimmer.

I had narrowed it down myself however, and realized that it wasn't equipment or livestock related, it was the two things plants need to live. Light and Nutrients. So, deprive the algae of light, and nutrients, and you deprive it of the chance to "live" in your aquarium.

This may sound like common sense but so many of us try to throw hardware and livestock at problems that can be easily corrected by paying attention and taking a "wait and see" approach.

As has been iterated several times "NOTHING GOOD HAPPENS FAST".

Now, moving on, I have changed very little equipment wise on this setup.
I recently replaced my skimmer with a newer / better model just because the old one flat wasn't skimming.

I had a reef devil powered by a Mag-7 pump and it was just inconsistent, hard to tune, and if there was any change whatsoever in salinity or temperature it went nutso. Not to mention it took up valuable real estate in my sump. I will never again use a skimmer that isn't needlewheel, mesh or otherwise capable of using something like a Sedra-5000.
Skimming has Zero, IMO, to do with "volume of water" it's "how you make the bubbles"..

Other than that, It's identical to the day I filled it with water. My equipment list is in my sig.

So as far as issues and how I have addressed them.

1.) Algae and Slime issue, well, you know that answer.

2.) Temperature swing issue.

a.) set my AC Jr. to cut the halides off if the tank gets to 82.6 or above, and turn them back on once it drops to 81.

b.) bought a chiller, to prepare for this coming summer, as my tank is in my formal dining room, in the front of the house which faces east.

3.) Nutrient Issues - It's difficult to meter your feedings for everyone in the tank. I have an issue with thawing cubes, or silversides and leaving them in the fridge to stink up the place, so I only thaw what I need. On occasion I over feed. But that's just me. Buying a better skimmer is an insurance policy against my overfeeding as once it gets into the sump by way of the overflows, it gets skimmed out.
I have also made a habit of redirecting my powerheads, ever so slightly, once or twice a week, to change up the current, and keep detritis suspended so that it has a chance to get whisked into the sump. My tank has two megaflows. They are centered about 8" from the sides of the tank so there is a 16" section in the middle of my tank where there's little to no flow. I aim a powerhead back here every so often to blow the dirt, food, poo, etc. toward the overflow.

I guess that's about it. By no means am I an officianado as the majority of what I have learned has been thru T&E and reading this message board.

I can tell anyone however, a few things I consider "set in stone".

1.) If you have a tank larger than 29G, BUY AN RO/DI UNIT. It makes life so much simpler. It doesn't have to be hooked up all the time. And you'd be hard pressed to pay more than $100 used for a decent unit. It affords you the ability to make your own verifiable "pure" top off water, and it allows you the luxury of being able to make a batch of salt water in a hurry in the event you have a catastrophe.
I know this to be true. I spent a year going back and forth to Neptunes, and DNA to get water for my 90, and it was a PITA.

2.) Learn to cure rock and cycle a tank. If you are thinking of starting a large tank, get some good quality rock, or a mix of base and live rock, and cure it in your own saltwater. It's a valuable learning tool. You get to know the smells, the look, then timing, etc of the nitrogen cycle. You also get to experience the satisfaction of looking at it once it's all crusted with critters, and coraline and think to yourself "man, I DID that."

Do the environment a favor and DON'T go run out and buy a Peppermint Shrimp to battle your Aiptaisia or a Blenny to fix your Hair Algae issues.

Q: Is there a place for these "target" critters when it comes to managing the ups and downs of reef ecology, sure...But don't use them as a swiss army knife to combat issues which are commonly caused by a.) poor purchasing decisions b.) neglect of your tank c.) bad luck.

If you get infested rock, you'll get Aiptaisia, Majano's, Bristles, and other nuisance pests.
If you go away for a week, and come back to find your neighbor overfed the whole time, you will have a nutrient surplus...Make a habit of doing a water change when you return from trips, or anytime someone other than YOU has been maintaining your tank. A 5-10 gallon water change on a 120 is no big deal, and should not impact your inhabitants when done correctly.
If you dump a whole tub of ReefCalc in your tank, yes it is going to snow, so make sure you followed my "set in stone" and start making water cuz you're going to need it.

Examining and learning the causes for common issues is going to provide not only you, but your little slimy inhabitants with a life full of enjoyment.

Use the sticky's and the search function and by all means ask those Reef Studs on the board. But look at your tank, pick a favorite corner and learn it. Use it as a barometer for how things are going.

I have a little spot right between my Galaxia and my GSP that fluctuates from bright orange/pink to deep purple. I can tell when my PH is low, and/Or when my ALK is low because this spot will change colors almost daily. I only know this because I have seen my ALK go to 7 or even as low as 6, and this little spot changes...Buffer my ALK back up and it turns bright purple and pink. See it turning lavender or brown, check my Alk or my PH and BAM, 7.8 and 7.....

Some things, you just gotta see, to believe.

Later taters, and thanks for looking. I will post updates once I get things cleaned up a bit.

BTW: I will have some GSP frags this weekend if anyone is interested in trading. I am looking for 2 headed hammer(s), Mushrooms, or silver dollar sized Ric frags.

:D That is one fantastic reply!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much!!!!!!

I look forward to your updates.