New fish dying within 1 day to 2 weeks.

isaac.croas

Premium Member
So here's the skinny: Acclimate using drip method, temperature and use safety stop. Fish dies in < 5 hours, and it's not like he wasn't a good looking fish either...

After a huge ich outbreak I lost a ton of fish and couldn't keep any NEW ADDITIONAL fish alive for more then < 2 weeks. My fish that have survived continue to do so with no problem. I have added inverts (with no problems) including urchins and sea stars. Haven't been able to successfully add a new fish in 2-3 months.

Suggestions? This is becoming infuriating and quite frankly expensive.

Thanks

Take all the fish you have out of the tank and quarantine in hypo-salinity to ensure you get rid of the ich. You may not see it on your fish now but odds are that it's still there in their gills or where you can't see. Leave the main tank with no fish for 8 weeks and don't put anything new into the tank for 8 weeks. This includes frags and corals. This is the easiest way to get rid of ich for good. You could use copper or lots of water changes for the quarantine but in all 3 proven methods, your main tank needs to be fish free and addition free for 8 weeks.

The other option is don't add any new fish for a while. Make sure all the ones you have now stay healthy for a few months and then try to add a new fish. Don't add more than one at a time and give a few weeks before adding another. Make sure the fish you're purchasing goes through at least a few weeks of quarantine before you add it to ensure it is healthy and disease free. If you don't have the QT facilities ask the LFS you're purchasing from if they can hold the fish for observation if you pay ahead of time. This way if it has issues and dies in their tank they will most likely replace it or refund you.

Another thing to ask the LFS where you're buying your fish is the salinity of their fish holding and display tanks. Many stores run hyposalinity in their fish only tanks which prevents the appearance of many diseases. The problem with this is as soon as you add the fish to a regular salinity tank, the disease will often present itself.

If your losing them in that short of time I'm guessing its not ich. How is your O2? Stray voltage?

Took care of the stray voltage a few weeks ago (but that would have affected my oldest fish (which are still living) first and not newest I would assume right?).
O2 should be good, I don't have an ORP set up yet, but I do have strong surface agitation for gas exchanging.