Need some help with my new design...

Okay, guys and gals... So, now that my days of deploying to wonderful vacation spots like Iraq, Afghanistan, Korea, or other godforsaken third-world countries are behind me, I can now start to plan and design and build in earnest, especially since my wonderful fiancée has given me the green light to start building a custom dream tank. Well, pseudo-dream tank, that is. My TRUE dream tank would require scuba gear to clean and service. LOL

So, a while back I saw this tank:
dropoff-reef-aquarium-6.jpg
alt="">
and immediately my mind began to percolate. I LOVED it. It reminded me so much of what it was like scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef, and really had a dimensionality to it that I hadn't seen before. That, and I loved having the shallower area for massively light-loving SPS, enabling you to run LEDs without spotlight optics, and a deeper shelf for NPS coral, etc. The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact that it was done with acrylic. I'm just not an acrylic fan, mainly 'cause I tend to break and scratch stuff pretty easily, and scratches drive me nuts. So, it would have to be glass.

So, I got to thinking, and realized I can do a similar tank to this, but bigger, and with glass. So, with that in mind, I found a place in Austin that laser cuts plywood up to 1.5" thick and can cut glass using a waterjet. So, with the "how do I get everything cut" at least semi-squared away, here's my idea for the design (it will sit as a room divider, so the plumbing will but up against the wall):
attachment.php
alt="">View from the Front angle. The large opening on the side of the stand will have doors, as will the side of the tank for the access to the plumbing.
attachment.php
alt="">Opposite side.
attachment.php
alt="">Side (skin not shown to show internal structure).
attachment.php
alt="">Rear Quarter view. The stand is all two layers of 3/4" marine-grade plywood (so, 1.5" all around, including internal supports).
attachment.php
alt="">Side view.

So, the plan is to build it in two pieces, the tank and the stand. All out of 3/4" marine plywood, fiberglass and resin on the inside. 1/2" Low Iron glass custom cut to shape. The shallow area will be 20" deep with a 17" window, with water level will be 1" above window height, and 3" of sand below the window. The sand held at the top of the shelf by a resin/foam/rock structure at the edge. The width of the tank will be 31", so it can fit through a standard front door with room to spare. The depth of the deeper portion is 36", with 32" viewable (once again, 3" below the viewing window for sand on the bottom level, so I can have some jawfish, and/or a pistol shrimp/goby pair).

Total water volume (not counting sump/fuge) should be about 240 gallons. I'm planning on using a BeanAnimal-style drain system. Having quite decided on return pumps, I'm kind of leaning towards a pair of Water Blaster 5000s. Currently, plans are to run a Super Reef Octopus XP-5000 Internal skimmer, unless I can somehow talk Wendy into letting me get a Vertex Alpha 250... ~drool~ Flow in the tank will be a pair of MP-60w pumps on the top shelf (placed below the overflow), and possibly a pair of MP-40w pumps on the bottom shelf from the sides pointed inwards at each other. Lighting will be a DIY LED setup, unless I somehow find an insanely good deal on some AI SOL Blues.

So what do you all think? Any ideas? See anything I got blatantly wrong? Improvements? Thoughts/comments/suggestions?

Sounds like a great setup, might be a good tank to run a closed loop on, other than that it sounds like you are on track.

@fjr_wertheimber wrote:
I'm planning on using a BeanAnimal-style drain system. said:
I was 100% with you on the design until this part. Yuck. Too much work, get rid of it. Go Herbie style drain. (I did like the overflow on the outside of the tank, for space saving design in the tank itself, dont know if I can bring myself to do it though, as I would be afraid of it getting ripped off or something - plus I would have to have the tank further off the wall) You cant go wrong with a Herbie, its super simple, quietest one out there, and is so easy!

My friend just sold a tank like the one you are trying to build as a matter of fact that pic looks a lot like his tank in that pic. He lives in boston not sure where you got the pic from but i agree i loved that tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw the pic on Glass Box and Reef Builders, but (like I said) I didn't care for the acrylic. Was your friend's tank acrylic or glass? The tank in those pictures is in Belgium. C4rN4gE, I used to have two tanks, one with a Herbie-style and one with a BeanAnimal, and I liked the BeanAnimal much better, but then again YMMV. Wes, yeah, I've been following that plywood build since the beginning, definitely gotten some tips and hints from it, especially regarding the use of resin/fiberglass.

Anybody see any errors/improvements needed?

What did you not like about the herbie? The beanies are in my opinion, more expensive, and require more interaction to get it perfect. Whats easier than a pipe with a valve and a backup?

I actually found the BeanAnimal to be considerably quieter, plus (being a high availability engineer by trade, before I joined the Army) I love the extra redundancy and safety margin of the BeanAnimal design. Having said that, if I didn't have the available realestate for a BeanAnimal, I'd use the Herbie in a heartbeat.