Need help with tank circulation

chrisT

Membership Expired
[I plan on using two tunze streams and two eduactors for tank flow. The question I have is I have two 1' drains which should give me about 1200 to 1400 gph, I was wondering what size pump I would need to get to return enough water to the educators. I have been looking at the iwaki pressure rated pumps, I have a 3/4 in return from the overflow that I plan on putting an output right at the overflow cut out then bring the plumbing down the top of the tank to the other corner.
top_of_tank.jpg
alt="">

So basiacally I would have a stream on each end of the tank and an educator output on each back corner, do you think this is over kill, maybe I should only put one stream in teh tank?
tank3.jpg
alt="">]

[I would like a few softies, but mainly sps dominated reef, So figured I would need alot of flow, but wasnt sure how much I could get out of a 3/4' return.]

[Overkill, no such thing but with that much you can pretty much forget any softies, some LPS and even clams!

SPS would love it.

I would also suggest one Tunze and the return. If you are going to use 2 eductors on your output you need a pump that will give you ~1500 GPH at the head (in other words after the water travels up, etc.) because I think I read the eductors don't work well with less than 750 GPH running through them.

Anyone want to verify?]

[hmmmm, mainly the only two softies I really want to keep at this point are green star polyps and some pulsing xenia. I would really like more of a mixed tank, I definatly want clams, lps,RBTA, and sps.

So how would you set this up to be able to keep a mixed reef?

Keep the current Idea and find low flow parts of the tank to place the softies.

Or re think how much flow to put through this thing?]