need help seting up

agamez214

Membership Expired
Hey fellow members im needing info....im wanting to make my own RO fresh top off water and saltwater and was wondering if you did the same?....if so if u can help and let me know what is needed to do it myself...and if u got pics of ur setup too and also what is needed to make and what brands u recommend as well

Thanks in advance

Quite easy really, just need some room to set up minor equipment and storage tanks. Most use garages I would presume. Find out if your water source (tap water) has chlorimines added to it by contacting the municipal water supply company and if so plan on adding a chlorimine buster(catalytic carbon) add-on or modification to the filter. Make sure you have at least 50psi of city pressure coming into your home. Purchase a RO/DI filter and after a quick setup you are making water. Figure out what kind of storage tanks you would like to use and if you want it to auto fill or be manual filling. I believe Marc sells RO/DI filters and would be a great resource to use.

@reefremedies wrote:
Quite easy really said:
Thanks yea i sent him a PM fotr help....i.actually dont want to get from faucet...i just wanna fill up a 55g container and RO into another 55g container...what about saltwater...what do u add to it chemical wise

just a decent brand of dry salt mix, follow mixing instructions and have a circulation pump to keep the mix fresh and mixed. Some peeps add a heater during the winter for quicker water change access. I recommend having a refractometer on hand to help get and keep your salinity to your preferred level.

Here's my article about how to mix up saltwater correctly: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-11/nftt/index.php

RODI leak detector - http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/leak-controller-detector-for-ro-di-systems.html

This is the best $50 I've ever spent for my tank. If you're filling up a lot of water or even just a small container you can set this sensor up and just a faint bit of moisture will stop the output of water and sound an audible alarm.

@Marc wrote:
Here's my article about how to mix up saltwater correctly: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-11/nftt/index.php said:
What ull add to fesh water?...buffer.....and also for saltwater?...cal, mag, etc...

a good salt mix should have the correct proportions of all the minerals your tank needs. start with the purest water you can get (RO/DI is great) and add the salt mix. any other additives are for the tank - even after a 20% water change you still have 80% of the water with depleted levels, so you add some calcium/mag/etc back in between water changes as needed. but you don't generally add the additives to the good mix, as it does not have depleted levels, and over saturation can cause precipitation - messing it up.

@hnurge wrote:
a good salt mix should have the correct proportions of all the minerals your tank needs. start with the purest water you can get (RO/DI is great) and add the salt mix. any other additives are for the tank - even after a 20% water change you still have 80% of the water with depleted levels said:
Ok cool thanks for info