Need Help Picking Vortech

Hookem2006

Premium Member
I have a standard 75gal tank. 48"x18"x21". Should I go with 1 MP40 or 2 MP10s. I am trying to do a mixed reef with emphasis on SPS. Just lookin for a little directional help here. Thanks y'all!

Yes, for a 4' long tank, I'd use a MP40 at each end. You can dial them down or up as needed to get that perfect flow.

I've been tossing between the Tunze and the VorTechs. I'm really not sure which way to go. I liked the idea of the VorTech's being able to sync with the Radion's to do night mode and what not. Im not sure if that is more gimmicky or not?

I do morning day and night mode with my tunze on a apex. Also have storm mode setup, clean gravel mode, and a couple others.

Sent from inside the shark tank!

1x nano wavebox and 3x koralia/tunze that are about 800gph each :)

Also, those Mp's will be too loud, especially if ur tank is still in ur room. But if you must go with it, then I'd do 1x Mp40 and keep 2x powerheads that u have. If you place them well to have water flowing towards ur overflow box, it works a lot better than to just randomly place them around.
Like this http://i54.tinypic.com/240yzgx.jpg Imagine the direction of flow w/ the way those powerheads are placed. It all goes towards the overflow box.

Ive got 2 MP10's on my 36" wide, and while perfect for that size, I dont think you could do what you wanted in a 48" tank. So dont go that route.

@Hook'em2006 wrote:
Do you think noise will really be an issue? The tank is in my living room. said:
Go to lfs that has one on a display tank and see if its is to loud for you and (gf or wife) make sure vortech is turned up at least 3/4 of the way. I didn't think mp40 was that noisy my mp60 that is loud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run a pair of mp40s at home if you want to listen. Mine are the old school ones but the motor is the same only difference is the driver.

Royal aquatics has them on a tank not sure if it is a mp10 or 40, might call apex aquariums or fg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're not loud if you align them properly.

It's all personal preference, but Vortech's are awesome in my opinion. I run 4 mp40's on my 180.

@Hook'em2006 wrote:
Anyone know a store that has the mp40 on a display? I know DNA has a mp10 on display. said:
Not exactly a store but I've got 3 of them running on mine if you want to take a look. And I'm only a few minutes from you [smilie=smile.gif]

@Robby2782 wrote:
[I]@mmiller40 wrote:[/I][quote="I got a 40 and a 60 in my 90. Going to sell the 40 soon and get another 60. said:
How much better is the mp60 in your experience? Is it just as quiet?"]

60 is quieter. The 10 are 60 are computer balanced. The 40 is relatively quiet below 70%. I don't notice the 60 at all. Of course if I run it over 70% it blows my lps around.