Need Advice for Big Tank

softballguy777

Membership Expired
I am in the process of purchasing a very large tank. Currently it is set up and running with 5 fish and some soft corals. The tank itself is 84" W x 24" D, x 36" H. The stand is 96" OAL, 83" OAH, and 29 1/2" deep. I'm guessing around 290 gallons. It also has a sump, skimmer, 1/2 horse chiller, and a variety of other items. The lighting bulbs need to be replaced, the tank needs a lot of maintenance. It currently has no snails or hermit crabs. I have to tear down and transport this tank and am looking for any advice you may have. The last time I moved an aquarium, there were no live corals or fish, just rock so it was easy. Basically put everything in totes and transport it. This is much much different. Im not in a rush, so i have some time to prepare for the moving of this tank.

I would definitely set up a holding tank/bin for the fish. You will experience some cycle when you set it back up in your home. It will probably be small and short but you will have some bacteria die off in tansporting the live rock. Better safe than sorry with the fish.

I have a 60 gallon tank that I'm not using right now. I can use that for the fish and the corals temporarily. There is quite a bit of algae in the tank. The red stringy algae. I'm going to try and remove as much as possible when breaking the aquarium down. With regard to live rock, Is there a recommendation to remove algae without damaging existing growth that I may not even know is there? Should I just rinse it off and put it back in the tank? Any recommendations for the best clean up crew for a 300 gallon tank? I know some of these questions are pre-mature, just trying to get an idea of everything involved. The gentleman I'm buying this from also has a 190 gl aquarium setup that I committed to purchase yesterday as well. Once I get everything moved, cleaned up and actually see what I have, I'll be putting the 190 up for sale.