Nature vs culling

BrianC

Membership Expired
So I have what many would call a good outbreak.Sand bed worms: small Feather Dusters and (what I believe are) Spaghetti Worms. I like most hobbiest are happy to see them but, their population explosion in my tank has me a bit worried. Like in nature, predators are a necessary evil to help limit the spread of disease. Frankly my #1 concern is disease spreading in the tank through the worms. I'm guessing the Spaghetti worms have taken to the glass in search of food... which tells me I need a predator before the populationgets further out of control.I was thinking of a Butterfly fish like a Zoster or Copperbanded or possibly a Wrasse (if someone could recommend one specifically for this) (I have a 6 line).

I too had a nice outbreak of some type of worm, but I just let them run their course.  They get over populated and then die back to something reasonable.  They didn't do any harm and probably helped keep my system clean.  I had a pod explosion as well and have had my Mandarin Goby in my tank since about 6 months after my tank was setup.  I now have a nice Asterina star explosion going on and I think they have developed a taste for some of my zoas!  Chances are if you try and get something to eat them, they won't and now you have another mouth to feed.  The best thing to do is sometimes nothing!  Not sure I can pull the thousands of stars out of my tank at this point!

I would adjust your feeding and see if that resolves the issue, or try to seed the rock with brittle stars to see if that will swing the balance away.  The only time I had lots of spaghetti worms was in a tank with no brittle stars.  Currently I have tons of brittle stars, and no spaghetti worms to speak of.  I don't know how the two would do together, but they do seem to have similar feeding habits (hide in the rock, hope stuff comes by).I can't speak to the H. zoster, but I will say that even if copperband butterflies do eat these worms, they are tricky.  They are a beautiful fish, and when they are doing barrel rolls or that zero gravity thing they do zeroing in to dart at food there's nothing like them.  That said, the following is what I went through to get mine:1) Try to buy one from a hobbyist who has had it at least a year (waited a year, no-go).  This isn't a fish people decide to sell unless they have one and are getting out.2) Look for a decent specimen in a LFS.  I'd say one out of every four I saw were good (visually) specimens.3) If they look good, ask to see them eat.  Make sure they actually swallow it and go for more.  This eliminates at least another 3/4.  Talking with LFS employees and importers over the years I get answers between 1/2 and 1/5 that take to eating and aren't confirmed dead in the first month.4) Once I found one that would eat I took it home, acclimated it, and put it in a clear chamber in the main tank with rocks to hide in.  It ate with a marginal appetite for a around a week, then woke up dead with no sign of a cause.5) After repeating steps 1-3 again I found one that was a voracious eater (like I'd never seen before).  I took him home, and put him in a 120 sump/frag tank with 2 chromis.  In a week I saw him barely nibble at PE mysis (and a variety of other foods) once, maybe twice.  He did clear the tank of hundreds of feather dusters in just a few days, which I'm convinced help fatten back up.  After a month or two I gave up and released him into the display tank.  I've never seen him eat prepared food, he just hunts in the rocks.  I briefly had some aiptasia with him, and that wasn't touched, although there were still feather dusters at the time.  He has slowly gained weight so I know he's eating, but I'm fairly certain the huge amount of rock is the only reason he hasn't starved.I'm told they really love live black worms, but I don't know of a local source and don't want to pay shipping for a small amount.

Self-regulation is my first choice as the outbreak seems to adjust in time... I have had mixed results adding fish or anything that was supposed to help control any population outbreak... Every tank is so different, I am not a believer that if it worked in someone's tank it will work in mine...