My Zoas are not too happy

jtapgar

Membership Expired
I have a 12g nano, it's been cycling for 6 weeks now. All levels are perfect - temp, pH, etc. But for some reason the Zoas I added remain closed up and seem unhappy. There is one zoa that is fine, in full bloom, but the other two are closed up. Any thoughts?

If this is your first salt tank, there is so much to learn! I recommend reading all of the online articles by Randy Holmes-Farley as a start. He does a great job with alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, pH, additives, etc.,. Lighting, water flow, feeding, pests, disease, and many other variables are in play in a salt tank. Do a search on Mr. Holmes-Farley and read everything you can find! That will get you started.

David

How long ago did you add the zoas? Sometimes it takes certain ones a while to open up. Some of my Tubbs Blue didn't open for almost a week.

I have had some that never opened. Now when I get new zoas I put them in a quarantine tank with low light. After a couple weeks of being open, I transfer the frag to the display tank.

Personally, I think zoas grow better under PC lighting which is what I have on the quarantine tank. My display has T5HO's.

The other thing that I try in order to get them to open is to introduce phytoplankton on each polyp. I use an eyedropper.