My zoa's are being eaten up by tiny snails - What to do?

[You'll have to find those snails and remove them. Are they Sundials?]

[Do a 5 minute freshwater dip with a couple drops lugols per gallon. The freshwater dip will usually take care of them. Now you will have to watch and may need to do it several times over the next few weeks as not all will be on the zo rock. If you can't dip best method is to just remove them everytime you see one and hope you get them all!]

[They are tiny. Smaller than a pin head and everywhere.

zoos may have started declining shortly after I got rid of my six-line.

I'm leaning towards - They were always in there and he was controlling them.

something is getting them. It started with one frag, I dipped it when it started looking bad but not before. They melted away entirely, then a small piece that was nearby, then more still on the same large rock. Now all zoos on any of my rockwork.

Frags down on the sand havent been gotten to.

We just found those tiny snails last night. It has to be them.

I'm just wondering how I am going to get rid of them.]

Edited By b&g on 1110639947

[Can you get a few pictures of the snails? Get a few, put them on a black background, and use a magnifying glass to shoot your images so they are clear. Maybe put a penny next to some for a judge of size.]

[here is a picture of one. I was told it was a zoo eater. ( Sundial )

Bump]

Edited By bump1 on 1110656787

[Ive seen similar pictures Carrol and although very small I suspect that is this critter.

damage
damage.JPG
alt="">

Suspects
snails.JPG
alt="">

snails1.JPG
alt="">

snails2.JPG
alt="">

snails3.JPG
alt="">]

[Those don't do any damage in my tank, and I see them everywhere. I'm pretty sure they are herbivorous.

Occasionally a snail will work its way through my zoos, but I'm pretty sure it is trying to get to some detritus between the polyps and not to murder the zoos themselves.]

[OK

The consensus is that those are not the culprits.

Something is getting all my zoos. I thought I might be on to what when I saw how many of those where around the zoos that I have left.]

[Brandon, look for a GIANT bristleworm. The one that Steve Weast pulled out of his tank was 13' long, and would mow down an entire patch of zoos each night. That is why he caught it and tore up reef to remove it.

It could also be emerald crabs. Travis had some in his tank that would rip the zoos off the rock just to get to some food underneath, ruining / decimating his colonies. He got rid of the crab.]

[I've personally had emerald crabs and peppermint shrimp eat zos so if you have any of those watch carefully!

I would dip them also just in case it's bacterial or something!]

[It's easy to think something is eating them when sometime's the colony could be sick. Keep a close eye on the the polyps and look for tears on the flesh. Plus, move the colony to a different spot with high flow to see what happens then. I have seen lots of different zoo's just start closing up and disappearing for no reason, but I have also seen inverts and fish tear at them to get the algae and there is a difference in how they look. Just do some "tank watching" and I'm sure you will find the reason.]

[
Just do some "tank watching" and I'm sure you will find the reason. said:
I've been watching it happen for 2 + months. Those snails where the first identifiable possible culprits. I watched it progress from a frag, to the frag nearest it, to the established small colony on the rock all three were sitting on or attached to. To the nearest colony on another and to a final colony farther away but still on the rockwork.

Only the frags in the sand, off of my rockwork have yet to be attacked.]

[There is a small zoo eating nudibranch that I had problems with a while back. They are very small...maybe 1/8-1/4 inch, pale white in color, and have appendages hanging off their boddies whick allows them to blend in with the zoo skirts. I first noticed mine at night on the glass next to a zoo colony.
Charley]