My Tank, 90 % Done but I have some questions ? New pictures.

Recently I bought a 105 Oceanic Reef Ready Set up, on these boards from a friend. We brought the tank home, and a week later we had to leave for vacation. Frank came that week before though, and helped me and my dad do the plumbing for the tank. Thanks alot Frank(btw). The plumbing was all done but the lighting and other things needed to be done before we would even consider water, We got home yesterday, and I started right away. My dad and I figured out our Vho lighting problem, so the lights finally work, everything is wired, and were ready for water. I thought Id just share. Ill keep the pictures coming as the tank progress through its cycle and things are added. ANy comments or suggestions would be great.

it looks great. I like your sump. Is it going to be a softy/lps tank? Also you might think about installing a GFCI and running all your electrical to it.

Well, I think its going to be both, with a few sps up really high. Where can I find these GFCI things, are there cords or do I have redo my electical stuff ?

You can buy GFCI outlets at the hardware store, or search around for a GFCI power strip. To make it easier to find, they look like this:

gfci_outlet2.jpg
alt="">

Looks great!!!

Do you have an RO unit to get the water or do you plan to purchase the water from the lfs? If you don't have an RO unit, you may want to purchase one on ebay which will save you tons of money. Starting a new tank will required you to do a lot of changes.

Can I recommend drip loops....
I've lost two icecap vho ballast in the past from water dripping down the wire into the ballast...

I agree with the suggestions of drip loops and a CGFI outlet. I would also add a UPS (Battery Back up system) for your pumps in case of power failure and a reflector under the bulbs. Aside from that, it looks Awesome

well as of now I have water in it...NO LEAKS ! My dad didnt have faith in the tank or something but after it was all full I was nananana. Im pretty sure I never been more excited about something. I was bouncing off the walls. We added some fiji pink sand only about 45 pounds. It really made the water milky and has yet to clear up. I put a single peice of live rock in the refuge for now from my nano. When everything clears up Ill post some more pictures. And more as the tank progress. I want my cycle time to be short..but dont worry I wont rush anything as of now chemicals, Ive added Liquid Calcium, Strontium/Molybdenum Seachem Stability, PH buffer,and Iodine. What else ? ANy suggestions ? Im going tomarrow to get the GFCI cords, and some cooling fans. Thanks

@Reefnoob wrote:
I want my cycle time to be short..but dont worry I wont rush anything as of now chemicals said:
You don't need to add/dose anything at this point. You should get your sand and LR in and start off your cycle(fishless). It's best to get as much LR as you can up front (minimum 1 poud per gallon) but you can add additional (lowly) later if necessary. rule on dosing is..don't dose what you don't test for. Good luck with your tank and remember to continue researching.

Cheers!

@Reefnoob wrote:
well as of now I have water in it...NO LEAKS ! My dad didnt have faith in the tank or something but after it was all full I was nananana. said:
So..you were really confident if you leak tested with saltwater, everybody usually fill up with fresh water, drain it then refill with saltwater after leak testing and initial tweaking. Did you use RO/DI water to leak check then mix the salt up in the tank. Just curious!

Cheers!

Oh, no I just went ahead and filled the tank with the salt water I had bought from Frank. We had I think 30 5 gallon jugs, with about 4 left over. Yeah, That probably wasnt the best descion but I did and had no problems. Now if I could just get this water clear...its driving me crazy, its like snow in the aquarium. Hopefully it will be gone by tomarrow.

Braedon,
You need to slow down because you sound like you are in quite the rush. You should plan on a 4-6 week cycle period and it could be longer depending on what you do during this period. How much LR do you have besides what was in your nano? Do you plan to add more LR later during the cycle or after the cycle? You should find a good referene book to read, you ca alao use the search function on this site to find man of the answers to your question. Also when you ask questions, do not take the advice of only one person and remember..what works in one take won't necessrily work in someone else's tank. Ask questions, research yourself and then decide which avenue you want to take from there.

Cheers,

Not in a rush, and yes I have done alot of research. I have a lot of consulting from others over things and For exapmle the salt water live rock and etc from books and others some was just unclear to me. The tank has cleared. I added 87 pounds of live rock I got from Jacob last night. It looks good. Ive aquascaped and Now im just waiting. I tested Ph today along with salt and temp. Going to get Ro water tonight to fix my salt problem, a another small fan, and few more peices of live rock. This is all cured live rock and I know only to put fully cured live rock in from now on. On the rock I got are a few living corals, and as of now are doing pretty well from my knowledge. Thanks. Ill post pictures soon.

P.S. I know not to rush I did that with my first tank, I am just checking and making sure I have everything and I am doing everything right. Thanks.

No problem,
I sure you know you shouldn't have anything in your tank while it's cycling. Not sure what research media advised you to start dosing a tank that hasn't cycled. I'm just saying take your time, not trying to chastise you in any way. I want you to be successful with your tank, I am still relatively new to the hobby as well and it's evident from your post that you want a tank now. Please take your time, noone knows everything about this hobby no matter how long they have been in the hobby. Patience is key to success in this hobby......Patience is key to success in this hobby......Patience is key to success in this hobby......Patience is key to success in this hobby......Patience is key to success in this hobby......Patience is key to success in this hobby......Patience is key to success in this hobby......Patience is key to success in this hobby......Patience is key to success in this hobby......Patience is key to success in this hobby......