My sad clam

tesfeld

Premium Member
So I finally dove into my tank with a mask and snorkel to start taking things out that were out of control. I snapped out a bunch of monti cap, some of which had grown onto a brain coral. When I did that, i was near my clam. He has been super happy with no issues in two years. I got home yesterday and saw him gaping with his mantle retracted. Could sand or monti-slime have done this? Thought they were a little hardier than this...

It's a crocea that i've had for 2 years without issue until I got in the tank. I'll try to take a pic tonight.

Call me crazy, but did you turn the clam upside down to see if a bit of monti cap might not have lodged in him? I know that sand and detrius gets blown out pretty easily when it gets dropped in mine.

No carbon or poly. No obvious object in him. :sad: Only other inhabitant that looks different that before I did this is a toadstool, one of 6. I'm thinking it has to be something chemical for him to gape. Otherwise, I assume he'd just retract from a sting or irritation.

Since he's already not doing well, would a fresh water dip make it worse? Is it just preventative? Do you adjust the pH of the RO water?

Well there's not doubt in my mind then, something I did stung or chemically killed it. He was in fact dead. Today it was obvious. I pulled him before the hermits could realize it. :cry:

I killed my maxima one time putting alk paste on it trying to kill
the xenia that was growing on the shell. :evil:

Well, dont feel too bad, I am having the same problem with a clam I bought in the Fraggle Reef GB. My other clam from Frank is doing great and has been for a while now. I noticed the clam from frggle reef had a skeleton "scutes" shell, and the other one I have has a flat smooth surfaced shell, both Croceas. I also noticed it gaping from the bottem, not a good sign, no wonder Fraggle tooth is having a blowout on them :lol: LOL $20 for a mal-nutritioned clam