My first colony! - A small wild collected piece

BnG

Membership Expired
[I picked this up at Fish Gallery today. I couldnt be happier with it so far. It was brown with purple tips in the store tank.
The guy in the store said "thats a nice piece, I'm suprised it lasted this long, I think it is going to be a tricolor"

Under my lights what was brown looks more green and the tips are purple.

It has a tiny acro crab in it as well, something I was looking for.

Its bigger than a golf ball smaller than a racquet ball.

Hard for me to capture the colors with my camera...
colony1.JPG
alt="">

colony2.JPG
alt="">

colony3.JPG
alt="">]

[I saw that piece on Thursday, I carefully considered it and left it alone. It is a nice piece and I believe it was around like $40-50? Might have been lower, can not quite remember? I actually picked two other really nice acros that day. As far as species I would hazard a guess when I did a little more looking. I believe that the tips will continue to get more purple And I believe you are right it is a tri-color. Do not get discouraged if the color fades at first, if it does at some point it will come back. And possibly since it was in their tank for awhile it may not loose any, and only continue to color up.]

[
BTW said:
It was $45 - 15% club discount. I ended up paying like $41 dollars after tax. I was much pleased with the price as well. Its a pretty small piece though, larger ones were 60 -70.]

[Your guess is as good as anyone elses. Like Eric Borneman says everytime I have heard somone ask him to identify a coral, "if you let the coral die, put it in a bleach solution and send the skeleton to me I can identify it for you". He says that is really the only way to really identify them, othe than that it is just a close guess. I saw that coral though and I would not guess the nana, their usually a little thinner than that one was. That is just a guess though. :lol:]

[Nice piece and I do agree with Rick that it is likely not a nana and it appears to have a "stubbier" appearance but I have no idea what it is! I'll look through Veron's book tonight and see if I can come up with a couple opinions!

The purple is awesome and as deep as that color is I bet it will keep it's color. Very nice, keep us posted on it's progress.]