My first batch of dt

[After reading diy phytoplankton here, I decide to try it myself. Since I don't have culture disk and Micro Algae Grow, I used DT and Miracle gro and Kent essential elememts. At start, I mixed 2mm MG, 1mm Kent and 1 capful od DT to 2 liter of salt water, I splitted at 7th day, added 1mm MG, 1mm Kent, and now at 14th day here is what I have]

[Is miracle grow safe to put in your tank?!? Don't pour that in!!!

The thread here said use Micro-Algae grow (which is the same as f/2 guillard formula)....not Miracle Grow. :shocked:]

[I've heard of people using Miracle Grow as well. I don't believe it will be a problem, but do a search on RC before you add it to your tank.

The stuff looks great! Hopefully it is useable.]

[Man, I just started my culture, I hope it turns out that good. Does any one know if there are any air temperature guide lines. The space I found for my "science experiment" as my wife calls it, is in the closet that keeps my hot water heater. It is usually around 80 to 85 in there. Is that OK or am I asking for trouble?]

Edited By SALT on 1078512777

[I keep it in gargage which is pretty cold. I put them inside 5g bucket and partially (90%) cover the top to retain some heat from the bulb.]

[When I read the link, It indicated to me that the temp could be an issue, my reasoning being the part about no more than a 7 watt bulb,

Make sure you do not get higher than seven watts said:
so I guess i should move it outside.

Also it suggests lights 24/7 while the tread here says 16 on 8 off.

Any thoughts?]

[I never would have though Miracle Grow would be ok. My first thought is fertilizer=chemicals. Didn't mean to freak out on ya.... Thanks for the new tip!]

[Here is new batch from last Saturday split, this time I did not add MG because the nitrate was still around 30 ppm from old batch, I mixed 1 tablet vitamine B complex to 50ml water then added 10ml to each new bottle along with 1ml Kent elements, then 1ml vitamin B each day. What I saw is very few dead cells at the bottom compare to first batch (check the first picture), the bottle on the right is from last week (after filtering out dead cells), new bottles is about 5 days old from the split and already very dark, nitrate is now less than 10ppm.
Lighting= 13w pc 24/7
Temp: up to 78 degree during the day, low to 60 at night.]

Here's what I do: http://www.melevsreef.com/phytoplankton.html

how long before you noticed growth??? I used DT's and its been 4 days but it still looks the same....hasnt gotten any darker, but has not died either.. so i dont know..

This is a very old thread. You need to understand that the latest version of DT is different than the bottle used in this thread. (Green bottle vs. Blue bottle). The latest version has 4 types of Phyto in it and 3 of them all require different needs that the Nanochloropsis.

The concern with this is the while the N type will out compete the others for food and could survive just about anything. The others can not and will more than likely crash. This in turn could crash your culture.

Just be aware of that. Make sure you split it regularly (about 10 days)and you should be okay.

Ricky - As long as it is green it is alive.

ok!

It has been 7 days and both bottles are green but not dark green and it looks good! What now? Do we split or wait 10 days!

Ricky