My DIY LED build

So I decided to replace my 3 x 250w MH fixtures and 4x 39w PC fixture with three LED fixtures.

My electricity bill in the summer is insane due to the heat that the MH creates- not just because of the lights themselves, but also the fan over my sump to drive the temperature down, the extra work the AC has to do, and the dehumidifier running to take care of the extra humidity.

The plan was to go with 3 x 18" x 8" heat sinks with splash shield, each having 51 LEDs (18 cool white, 18 neutral white and 15 blue). This is a bit more than is typically recommended to replace a 250w MH, but my tank is 30" tall, so I'm going a little above recommendation. Additionally, I'm trying to duplicate an XM 10kk look, so I went with 2:1 white to blue rather than the typical 1:1.

I went with parts from reefledlights.com, since they have some nice custom gear- anodized, pre-drilled heat sinks, splash shields, hanging kits, and solderless connections.

Because I was replacing multiple lights with one fixture, I wanted to have dimming for the lights. I ended up with 7 different channels between the 3 fixtures, so I can simulate dawn/dusk as well as high noon full intensity.

Here's some pics of the progression..

First the blue LEDs..
build1.jpg
alt="">

Then the 'high noon' whites..
build2.jpg
alt="">

And the cool whites..
build3.jpg
alt="">

All the wires between the LEDs and to the outputs done..
build6.jpg
alt="">

Then the optics..
build7.jpg
alt="">

And the splash shield..
build8.jpg
alt="">

Then the fan on the top..
build9.jpg
alt="">

I added terminal blocks for hooking up to the drivers..
build10.jpg
alt="">

Got the driver box built and the drivers mounted..
build11.jpg
alt="">

I got all the output wires into terminal blocks, power wires combined, wired to plugs, and plugged into a DC-8, and control lines wired to terminal blocks..
build13.jpg
alt="">

build14.jpg
alt="">

build15.jpg
alt="">

Got all the drivers tested- they all fired up and dim, ran through all the strings on all three fixtures.

Here's a shot of testing the blues..
build16.jpg
alt="">

Got the lights installed, but before I did, I got out the PAR meter and measured some spots...

Before..
pre-LED_par.jpg
alt="">

After..
post-LED_par.jpg
alt="">

Yes, I turned down the LEDs to only be slightly higher than the MH fixtures (55%). I'll acclimate them to the new light over the course of a couple months.

I also reoriented the fixtures to be parallel to the long axis of the tank. Here's a shot with the change in direction..
build18.jpg
alt="">

I figure I've got about $730 in each fixture. Here's a parts list-

3 x 18" x 8.46" drilled tapped anodized heat sink
3 x 18" splash shield
3 x hanging kit

54 XP-G R5 Cool White on star (High Noon - 6-6.5k, BJB solderless connector, ripple optics)
54 XP-G R5 Cool White on star (Premium - 7.5k, BJB solderless connector, ripple optics)
45 XT-E Royal Blue on star (Premium, BJB solderless connector, ripple optics)

3 x Inventronics 40w 700ma dimmable driver
12 x Inventronics 40w 1050ma dimmable driver

3 x NXT 200mm fan
3 x Fan power supply

20' of sheathing
1 x tube of heat sink compound
6 x 50ct 4-40 screws
3 x 20g wire
6 new hooks for reorienting the fixtures.