My DIY Kalk Stirrer

Been wanting to do this for a while. It is 3" pvc and 50" tall.
It is sitting in the bucket right now with some rocks to keep it
upright, in a couple of days I'll make some brackets to mount
it to the wall behind the tank with a drip pan under it.

My total cost including the MJ was $40.00
already had the top off set up just moved
it to feed the unit, and added a valve to
control drip rate.

when it gets all in place I'll update with
pics.

KalkStirrer.jpg
alt="">

KalkStirrer_001.jpg
alt="">

WoodDragon

@Treamaya wrote:
So why do you need a kalk stirrer? Don't you just mix kalk in with the auto top off water jug? said:
A Kali Stirrer, or Kalk Reactor (Or Nielsen Reactor) has many advantages...

You can add a LOT of Calcium Hydroxide at a time, and the stirring action keeps the solution as saturated as possible.

Kalkwasser exposed to the atmosphere will quickly degrade (Within a few days), but in a kalk reactor, you keep the solution separated from the atmospheric gases, so the solution stays viable much longer.

So, once it's set up, you only have to touch the kalk reactor once a month, or even longer, instead of messing with it daily.

Also, kalkwasser running through a pump or other dosing device will quickly gum up the works. With a kalk reactor, you can have the pump BEFORE the reactor. The pump is only touching pure RO/DI water, and pressurizes the reactor, forcing the kalkwasser out the other side and into your system...

Now, I HIGHLY recommend you ONLY use a kalk reactor in conjunction with a pH controller on your tank, to avoid any unpleasantries from the reactor running too long and your pH going sky high (Watching a snow storm/blizzard in your reef is NOT a fun thing to do! I know... Been there, done that, ordered a controller the next day)