My 20g skimmerless (pic intense)

kwl1763

Premium Member
[I just set up a 20G to supplement my 135G tank.

I built the stand and canopy myself and as you will see in the pics, the stand is fully functional but still needs to be finished.

It has 4 24" VHOs/ 2 10k and 2 actinic.

I'm running skimmerless so I put in a DSB of about 5-6" of Southdown to start it. I am running a filter with only carbon in it 24/7 that is providing the circulation.

I have an air pump running a hose onto the left side of the tank for extra oxgenation/circulation/suface agitation. The main purpose of it is for the poppong bubbles to break up the surface protiens that form. If you have ever had stagnant water on the top of your tank you know what I'm talking about.

I am going to do weekly water changes and change the carbon weekly. That should keep the water clean without skimming.

I used about 15 lbs of live rock from my existing 135G tank and also used water from the 135 to fill the tank so the only thing really new was the sand so I had no cycle per say. I'm on day 14 now and put my damsel in on day 8. This weekend I transferred some zoos and ricordia.

The grand plan is that this will be a zoanthid and ricordia only tank. I love them both and my 135G has so much flow that some weren't that happy. Eventually I want to to try either a Goniopora or put a RBTA and a clown in but that is many months down the road!

It will be interesting to see how it progresses as this is the opposite of my 135G as far as comlexity goes.

Without further ado.

Here is the tank, stand and canopy. It is in our bedroom by the way.

Full-Tank-and-Stand.jpg
alt="">

Here is a closer look of just the tank.

Full-Tank.jpg
alt="">

My "blue devil" . They sure are pretty even if they are to aggresive! (He is 3 years old and I've had him 9 months)

Blue-Damsel.jpg
alt="">

Here is a really bad pic of the ricordia I moved over. The color is absolutly horid in this pic. They are really pretty with neon green mouths orange centers and blue outsides but the camera didn't pick it up. I'll get some better shots later!

ricordia.jpg
alt="">

Finally a pic of some red zoos I moved over. This is only an hour or so after I moved them so they are not totally adjusted in this shot.

reds.jpg
alt="">

That's about it for now. The water is still a litlle cloudy as the damsel keeps stirring the sand but is getting better. I have heard that without a skimmer it takes up to a month for the bacteria to weigh down Southdown to where youe water is totally clear. We'll see. Please make any suggestions and comments freely!!]

[Looks good buddy, keep up the photography, theres nothing that I like better than to see other members aquariums.

Soo keep up the good work and thanks for the great pictures,

- Tim]

[It's a good start. I'd use a flash for your pictures, or increase the ISO to 400 and shoot from a tripod.

Do you have the corner of the tank covered to avoid salt spray from the rising bubbles on the left side?]

[Sorry it took a while to reply.

Currently I have a small piece of corregated plastic over the part where the bubbles pop to prevent spray but want something better!

I'll take some better pics soon. Those were no tripod after midnight pics!! :D

I had a hellacious algea/bacteria bloom in the water column yesterday. The water just overnight turned green. Not sure what caused it as I checked all the parameters and the only thing registering is ~10ppm trates. It looks better today but still has a greenish tint. All the livestock looks fine.

Any ideas as to what it is/it's cause. I also have to scrape the glass daily or it gets nasty. Is it just new tank syndrome of to many nutrients?

I'm doing a water change tommorow so that should help.]

[Could signify a need for a skimmer on your "skimmerless" 20 gal. :p

It's a good start, a large water change will help :) Your pics look better than most of mine!]

[Seems like if you are running w/o a skimmer you would want a deco sand bed rather than a deep sand bed...that way you could use one of those fresh water sand suckers and keep you sand and tank far cleaner than the direction it seems you are headed...]

[Well the problem went away as quickly as it came. Last week it cleared up and once I did a 5 gallon water change this weekend it is almost perfectly clear again.

From reading RC it looks like it was just an algea bloom and is not that uncommon in a skimmerless.]

[Wanted to give an update with some pics.

I have gotten some new ricordia and put some frags of zoos from my 135G over in the 20.

I've decided to turn it into a clownfish anemone tank. I want to go with a pair of Clarkii's and an RBTA. They will be my only fish as I plan on getting the blue damsel out soon!

Everything seems to be going well. Parameters look good. I started dosing B-Ionic and 5mL a day keeps the levels looking good.

Onto the pics. I'll do a full tank shot soon. I simply forgot and the lights are out now but here are some nice zoo macros.

They really are this blue :D

bluezoos.jpg
alt="">

Nice Greens

greens.jpg
alt="">

Purples

purples.jpg
alt="">

And some GSP I traded a bottle of Phyto for!

green-stars.jpg
alt="">]

[And the Ricordia.

I still haven't been able to capture the colors on these as they are truly stunning!!

tricolors.jpg
alt="">
bluerics.jpg
alt="">
mid.jpg
alt="">
orange.jpg
alt="">]

[The last set of pics are great. What did you do differently? One thing though, you may want to think twice about putting gsps in your tank or they may take over. I like the idea of a zoo/ricordia only setup with maybe a bta and clowns as well.]

[Very nice pictures. :) I had Travis over this evening and he showed me some very cool Photoshop stuff that I hope I can remember.]

[Nothing major different just got some sleep and used a tripod :p

I can't wait to have travis over. I'm getting better but I'm sure he will show me stuff that will leap me ahead. I'm still shooting 90% in auto mode.

Chris, I have 2 different varieties of GSP on their own "island" in the front corner of the tank. The are a good 3" away from any other rocks or coral!]

[Looking good!

I think your GSPs in that last pic are actually an Encrusting Gorgonian. Very similar in shape but the polyps are more wispy and elongated and the mat grows by creeping stolons instead of one continous section. Many LFSs around here are incorrectly selling it as GSPs. Still easy to care for and still beautiful, but it does grow quickly. I keep mine confined to one rock.]

[Keith, here are the centers of my GSP. You might compare that way, especially considering the post above mine.

gsp.jpg
alt="">]