MP40 Help Needed

K_Red_Raider

Membership Expired
I have a MP40 that has begun to give me trouble. About a week ago it started (that is when I noticed it) turning off by itself. I pulled the power source and made sure that it was still plugged in and it was plugged into the wall and my MP40 was plugged into it. I tried to cycle it on and off and once it was turned on it quickly turned back off. I did this a few times with the power button and by unplugging it from the "transformer". The wet side was dirty so I set it in some vinegar to clean it off. I was told to try it again with the wet side off because that would tell if it was the "very dirty" wet side that was causing it to turn off or not. The unit still continues to power on and then right back off when it is plugged in even with the wet side off.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Kevin

Sounds like you either have a bad dry side or the actual power module went bad.

You may also be getting a pump disconnect error which is the motor thinking it's become disconnected. To get around this, follow these steps:
The VorTech pump can automatically shut itself down in the event that a motor and wetside decouple from one-another. To set up this mode, you must calibrate your motor using the following
sequence of operations:
Go into Feed Mode by holding the Mode button for three seconds. Feed Mode is indicated by a
blinking white light.
Hold the motor in your hand, separate from the wet side. The motor will still be operating so hold it
carefully in a place far away from any magnetic material.
Hold Mode and Set. This LED knob will now change color from blinking white to blinking white and
yellow. This indicates that you have activated the calibration sequence.
Allow the calibration sequence to run, which can take about a minute. When the calibration sequence is completed. The driver will re-start.
Re-attach the pump to your aquarium. Pump disconnect error protection has been programmed.
In the event that your motor and wetside become de-coupled, the driver will blink red to notify you
of this occurrence. However, in some cases a false-error can occur. This can happen because
your pump needs to be cleaned or requires other maintenance. If it happens frequently, we recommend that you UNDO the pump disconnect error protection. The pump will no longer turn off in the
event of a separated wet and dry side, however you will also no longer get a false-error. To perform this cancellation of the calibration process, follow this sequence of operations:
Go into Feed Mode by holding the Mode button for three seconds. Feed Mode is indicated by a
blinking white light.
Hold the motor in your hand, separate from the wet side. The motor will still be operating so hold it
carefully in a place far away from any magnetic material.
Hold Mode and Set. This LED knob will now change color from blinking white to blinking white and
yellow. This indicates that you have activated the calibration sequence.
Cycle power to the pump by unplugging it and re-plugging it in. The calibration has successfully
been cleared out and you will no longer get a false-error.

If that doesn't work, try doing a full memory clear / reset:
In order to clear out a saved wave you must perform a full memory clear on the master driver. Different from the normal memory clear, a full driver memory clear will any and all configured settings
(i.e. feed mode time, battery backup speed, etc) and restore them to the original default settings.
In order to do this, follow the steps below.
HOLD Mode + Set
*After you hold Mode and Set
your control dial will blink red/
white/blue.
HOLD Mode
*After holding Mode your control
dial will blink red/purple.
HOLD Mode & Option
*After holding Mode and Option
the driver will reset and the pump
will restart.

Are you getting any error codes?
Error Codes
Flashing Red LED
• Issue: Pump disconnect error
• Resoltuion: See section 6.0: Pump Disconnect Error Protection
Flashing Red/Orange LED
• Issue: A component in the motor has gone bad
• Resolution: If you are under warranty, contact EcoTech Marine for a replacement motor. If you are outside warranty, visit the parts store at www.ecotechmarine.com to purchase a new motor.
Flashing Red/Yellow LED
• Issue: The pump has over heated
• Resolution: Clean the wetside and check that there are no obstructions blocking the rotation of the wetside or dryside. If the problem persists, contact
EcoTech Marine to speak with a service represenative.
Flashing Red/Green LED
• Issue: Stall error
• Resolution: Clean the wetside and check that there are no obstructions blocking the rotation of the wetside or dryside. If the problem persists, contact
EcoTech Marine to speak with a service represenative.
Flashing Red/White LED
• Issue: Wireless upgrade error
• Resolution: Re-attempt the upgrade process until it completes successfully.
Alternatively, you can use a normally functioning pump to re-flash the pump
with the red/white error code. If none of this works, contact EcoTech Marine to
speak with a service represenative.
Solid Red LED
• Issue: Upgrade Error
• Resolution: Re-attempt the upgrade process until it completes successfully.
Alternatively, you can use a normally functioning pump to re-flash the pump
with the red/white error code. If none of this works, contact EcoTech Marine to
speak with a service represenative.
Very fast flashing red, no LED at all when powered up, or multiple random colors
• Issue: All of the earlier codes represent actual error codes programmed into
the driver. The error above however, reflects that some damage to the pump
has occurred preventing it from functioning properly
• Resolution: contact EcoTech Marine to speak with a service represenative.

Wow thanks I will try to go thru all of those steps and see if one works. I have cleared the memory and started all over again but it was still doing the same thing after. Im not sure that it was blinking any color because it would shut down approx 2 seconds after I replugged it back into the power source.

also you can take the pin spacer off the dry side and rotate the magnet wheel to see if it binds at all if its binding you may need to have the bearings replaced. Thats something that ecotech can do but you have to ship it to them and if it out of warranty they charge for that. i can also fix it if you feel comfortable giving me your dryside for a for about 2 days