Moving tanks

Dannyfolk

Membership Expired
I will be getting my new tank (285 gallon) in the next week or so. I have to move my current 150 and 90 to make room for the new system. Any advice would be appreciated on the easiest way to make the move less stressful.

We did it back in December and made a temporary set up in the fish room with a temporary sump. We had die off still because it took us too long to get the new tank plumbed. Things started to recover afterwards. It wasn't bad. We ended up losing all that coral a couple months later due to a crash. My husband wishes we would have sold all the coral and start over with dry rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on how long you are waiting you can use two or three 50g drums and put everything in them, move the old stand and tank, move in the new one and start pumping and moving everything back in.

When you move your tanks setup temporary storage for the move. Separate the fish from the corals. Use the same water from your tank for the fish and the corals. Put some of your live rock in with the fish for hiding places and filtration. The reason you are separating the fish from the corals, is because you only want to feed your fish. The corals will be fine even without light for about 4 to 5 days. You will not loose any of your corals or fish from this method.

I was going to remove all livestock into 35 gallon storage containers, move the tanks a few feet and put everything back. That would give me several week to do the new tank build. Then just move everything from the 2 tanks into the new one. Does anyone see a flaw in my plan? I was really asking about the physical aspect of moving the tanks. Any suggestions (suction cups, table lifts etc...) thanks for all the responses.