Moving a tank---Got it done

I'm gonna let my lease run in May and move back home for the summer to save some money and work on my parent's house. Then in August I plan on moving again, back to DFW. I read Marc's article on moving tanks, but is there a good way to move the tank twice in less than 3 months. I'll be moving it about 1-1/2 hours each time. The tank is a 29g that has been established for 8-9 months with a DSB that I'm gonna replace if I move.

Or, should I save the trouble and sell all of the fish and corals and start it back up later? I hate to part with all of the critters, but in the back of my head it seems like the more feasible idea.

Thanks...Joe

Just move it. It isn't big, and it should be fine as long as you can maintain stability afterwards.

I just moved my 37 gal. and replaced the sandbed. Did'nt lose anything except some hermit crabs and that might have been coincidental. I made extra water and used every drop, so I'd make more than you think you will need. I also used battery powered air pumps, probably did'nt need it but it gave me peace of mind.
Good luck

Alright, looks like I'll move it in a few months. Another question I had was, does the tank have to cycle again? I know I've read people post about it, but can't remember.

The cycle occurs if the LR is out of water, or the sand is stirred up. If you can avoid these two issues, you probably will not have a cycle to contend with.

Keeping the LR submerged is tricky, but can be done. Use large tupperware container to move it from tank to bucket and to tank again. Save a little of the LS from the top to seed with but use new sand both times. I think all of this is covered in Marc's thread. Just to be on the safe side I'd leave the fish in buckets for a few days after the tank is set up at the new place, just in case there is a smally mini cycle. Once the tank is set up, I'd throw in a SMALL dead table shrimp for a couple of days just to test your bio filter. Test the water and don't move your fish in until you are back to 0-0-<10 prams.

Piece of cake

If you buy a new $7 33g trashcan from Home Depot, you can keep the rock submerged easily. Plus it is easier to carry with a helper on the opposite side of the barrel.

Alright, its getting closer to the move date and I'm nervous...

How long can the fish be in the bags? I'm gonna move the tank and livestock at the same time, but what do I do with the fish until the tank is set back up? The only extra tanks I have are 10g.

Thanks for the help everyone...Joe

bump-question above

oh...another question. I got a 55 gallon plastic drum and I'm gonna fill it with saltwater (from the fish gallery) what should I do to prep the water to use in the "new" tank. Besides PH, temp, and aerating it, should I dose anything like Ca or anything?

Thanks again

@joe_t_51 wrote:
Alright said:
A long time..... they came either in bags or in boxes when they were shipped to the store. I'd get extra large bags and pump them with air (not breath) when I put them in though. Gives them oxygen and makes the bags easier to stack etc. If you need any fish boxes I have several you can borrow. Since the weather has been nice, you won't have to worry about that too much, but keep an eye on ambient temps, as you may need to cool them a little. Figure if they are going to be in there a few hours, it won't be a problem. Overnight might be.

@joe_t_51 wrote:
bump-question above oh...another question. I got a 55 gallon plastic drum and I'm gonna fill it with saltwater (from the fish gallery) what should I do to prep the water to use in the "new" tank. Besides PH said:
You may want to match Alk if you can....but temp and ph are the big ones I would keep an eye on. You'll want to acclimate them just like you would if they are "NEW" fish going in the tank.

Alright, I got it all moved last night. I left Dallas at about 9:30 and got done at 5 a.m. Everything made the trip just fine. I went and got the 55 gallon drum (thanks again DaveJ) filled at the fish gallery and they gave me some fish boxes which were very helpful. I put Home Depot pulverized limestone in and it looks great.

Thanks again everyone