More Reef Keeping Myth Busters!!!!

I've seen these subjects come up recently so posting this article for your enjoyment. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-04/newbie/index.php

Cheers,

If you want a good deep sand bed then it is important that at least part of it be true live sand and not artificially seeded sand. said:
So who collected sand in Port Aransas? I'd be worried about introducing parasites or other undesirable critters.

@shse666 wrote:
[quote="If you want a good deep sand bed then it is important that at least part of it be true live sand and not artificially seeded sand. said:
So who collected sand in Port Aransas? I'd be worried about introducing parasites or other undesirable critters."]

Unless you go pretty far out, I would be more concerned with toxic pollutant's from run-off etc. I know some folk's may have used this stuff and havent had issues but for the amount of money I have tied up in my tank, I would prefer not to add a potentially problematic element like sand from an area where human's frequent. I would much rather buy the sterile dry stuff sold as live sand, and then seed it with a few cup's from an established tank. YMMV [smilie=smile.gif]

Cheers,