Montipora Parasite

Jarretk1

Premium Member
Picked up a frag of a montipora called jedi mind trick a few weeks ago and have it under 2-150W MH with PC. I doesn't look to have good color or any growth and get home today to find critters. I have searched the net for hour and to me the brown bug doesnt look like a Nudibranch or a Red bug, but white spots look like eggs of some sort. I waited till night and look a flashlight to try and spot something and thats when I pulled what I believe to be a snail out from under the monti (the 4 spotted shells). To me it looks like whatever it is is having it way with one edge of the monti and I want to stop it now.

That bug or snail may have been a stomatella, which do no harm. The eggs - can't say for sure.

Thanks for the quick reply, I didn't think to many people word he up at 1am. I now have nudibranches as well. Just looked at it again and saw 2 of the little b@$tards poking in and out from between the Monti and rock it came on. Do you have any suggestions on killing them?

You might be able to siphon them out of the tank. Or lift out the coral and use tweezers to remove them.

The club meeting this month is about pests in the aquarium. http://www.dfwmas.org/february-monthly-meeting-feb-13-2013-1783.html

Thanks Matt, i have searched the net for hours and find very few things that will these guys, unfortunately I am one of those guys that doesn't have a QT tank so all those options are out. I am going to do a bit more research today and if I don't find anything there or if no one else has any more suggestions on here then Bayer it is. I don't want to loose this monti, its not a super rare piece but its on the rarer side and my first piece of coral.

Coral Rx will kill most pests. I know bY experience it will kill the montipora eating nudibranches. Put the rock in a small container and follow the instructions. It's really simple.