Mixing different types of shrimp

JumboAg99

Membership Expired
[Since certain fish don't make good tank mates, I figured I'd ask about shirmp compatibility.

I already have two skunk cleaner shrimp in the tank. They've been in it for months.

I've recently been dealing with the annoyance of aptasia. Nothing too bad. I'm finding one or two a week and immediately take them out with Joe's Juice, but I'd like to add a couple of peppermint shrimp to see if they'll help deal with the aptasia.

Will peppermint shrimp and cleaner shrimp co-habitate? Also, since I'm asking, I've always wanted to add a coral banded shrimp - they look so cool. Can all three be in the same tank?

What numbers of each work out best... I seem to remember reading that you should only have one CBS in a tank, but what about the others. (Two cleaner shrimp have proven to be fine together).]

[Peppermint and cleaner shrimp live quite happily together. I have both in my tank and have never even seen them give each other a second look.

As for the coral banded, it will kill both the cleaner and peppermint shrimp if it gets the chance. Not a good choice with the others. I think they are cool also, but I like my other shrimp too much to invest in one.]

Edited By GraviT on 1114403807

[You can only have one CBS in a tank unless you find a mated pair.

The golden CBS is smaller then the regular CBS and not as aggressive. I had one with my camel shrimp in a 40 gallon for two years.]

[There is also a blue one. I think it stays small too. I see the yellow one occasionally in lfs. I have never seen the blue one in a store only online.]

[As Kevin stated, the regular CBS is opportunistic and will kill what it can catch. That includes any ornamental shrimp you keep. I've never had a blue or gold/yellow CBS, so I can't agree or disagree with Nicki's experience.

Personally, I love CBS but don't have one currently as I prefer the other shrimp in my tank. It would be nice if the Blood Shrimp would come out and cruise the tank at least once! It hides all the time. :Oo:]

[I have 2 cleaners, 3 peppermints, 2 fire shrimp and 1 CBS in my 215. They all contribute as a cleanup crew and are all pretty good size.

They all stay right in the own territory all day and then they all roam at night. The CBS is about 3 inches and will always look to chase the cleaners and the peppermints, but he is much too slow to catch any of them and has never really gotten close to them. :D

Once in a while the cleaners will chase the peppermints, but also never catch them. The peppermints are very good at avoiding trouble. Nobody bothers the fire shrimp at all.

b.t.w. the 3 peppermints took care of a small aiptasia problem in less than a week....

ScottJ]

[For years I was able to keep a Banded Coral Shrimp (Yes, I said Banded Coral, not Coral Banded, this was pointed out to me by my six year old son the other day, when I challenged him he immediate ran to the nearest reference book, opened it to the invertebrate section and read me the name and description and then proceeded to strut around the house and sing, I was right and Dad was wrong, I was right and Dad was wrong, man I am in trouble, Oh yea where was I). That's right, for years I was able to keep a Banded Coral Shrimp (you know every time I say that it sounds better) and a cleaner shrimp in my FO 40 gallon long. Never a problem. Well I had a disaster a while back and lost everything, that's another story. Since re-setting up I have attempted to keep them together again and for some reason, DUH, the cleaner shrimp seem to keep disappearing every few months. Well I thought about it and thought about it and the only logical explanation is the Banded Coral Shrimp. So right now I have 2 cleaners in my fuge waiting for me to cure some rock to redo the main tank. At that time the Banded Coral goes and the cleaners go in the tank. So keep and eye out if you are interested in a Banded Coral Shrimp he will be cheap if not free.]

[Stanley that is funny, though not so much for you. But that is one of those names I see people say wrong from time to time and just don't say anything. I figure sooner or later someone else will tell them. But Stanley I would much rather it be one of my boys that remind that I am not right about something, than my wife. :sniffle: You can be reminded of that mistake for your entire life. :cussing:]

[LOL Rick, I am just glad his little brother and sister did not join in. They seem to be three peas in a pod lately and I think that would have been too much for this proud papa. Heck, when I was six I was lucky to be reading Run John, run. See John run. Children these days are so much more advanced and I wonder if they are missing out a bit on just being a kid ??? But I am glad to see him take such an interest in my obsession. The new tank has been taking quite a bit of my time and I do feel a little guilty about missing time with them. It is nice when he hunkers down with me to look over the sump and fuge and check the skimmer. He is so knowledgeable about the whole set up I am surprised he has not set one up in his room, not that he hasn't already asked. :p]

[check this out..
i got a Fighting Conch in group buy and did not last over 10 minutes in my tank. my Coral banded attacked it and pulled it out of the shell!!! it will attack my fish too.. if it can corner them , but have not had any deaths yet on fish. i have a pepperment shrimp , but has not been attacked by the CBS. its pretty big now and is starting to out grow my 21 gallon. it has molted about 5x in 7 months. anyone want to trade for a blood shimp or cleaner?]

[I personally will never have a Banded Coral Shrimp. They are super mean and will eat anything they catch. They are cool but it limits you a lot as far as what else you can safely have. If you have a large enough tank it can work with others but I wouldn't risk it.

Peppermints and cleaners should have no issues with each other.]

[Btw, putting a CBS and a Arrow Crab together doesn't work either. :stare:]

[I love Arrow crabs, but mine died from unknown causes. I suspect fowl play, I found him face up with a hole in his chest. Case has been open for a year with no suspects. I have two cleaner and one blood red shrimp and they live very nicely together. Marc I would love to see mine swim just once in the light also. He is afraid of any kind of light.]

Edited By Eric on 1114467009

[
Btw said:
I'm fond of my arrow crab and would hate to see him killed. I like to watch him sit perched upside down on a rock overhang during the day. He looks like one of those gargoyles you find on old European churches.

Glad to hear that peppermint shrimp should be fine.]

[Stanley, I know the feeling about the little one being very sharp on the subject, my 7 year old daughter has been known to correct people in the LFS on several occasions!

Ya know, I had a mystery death with my arrow crab also. Every morning, he would climb to the top of the rock structure on his side of the tank and just sit there, looking like king of the mountain while waiting for food. One day, he climed, sat, ate then fell over forward and died. :very sad:

No suspects in this case to date.]