Minimum shroom lighting?

[I am setting up a FOWLR and would love to keep mushrooms. Can you tell me how much lighting is required for these and does it vary on species?
Also I would love stocking suggestions. I already have a yellow tang and an adult clarkii clown going in. I would also like to keep some shrimp and a blue linkia star.
Will the star bother the mushrooms? Thanks for any and all help!
Amanda :p]

[I doubt anything will bother a mushroom. They just sit there and quietly spread. I've dropped about 10 or more in a 10g aquarium in my son's room because they're all over the place in my reef tank. If you'd like some, I'd be happy to share.

They are low light creatures, but I've got mine under 3 x 55w Power Compacts (PCs). I gave a few to a fellow reefer with 250w Metal Halides (MH), and he said they opened up and quickly spread. They are orange/red, and you can see them in many pictures I post here on the board.]

[Hey thanks for the reply. Do you think they would do ok under 2x40w NO(1 actinic-1 daylamp)? If you are happy to share, I would be more than happy to pay for them but it will be about 2 months before Im ready for them.
Thanks-Amanda]

[I think they'd be okay, to be honest. They don't need a lot of light to thrive, imo. No payment is necessary. I'm happy to share. :)]

[@Amanda wrote:
I am setting up a FOWLR and would love to keep mushrooms. Can you tell me how much lighting is required for these and does it vary on species? Also I would love stocking suggestions. I already have a yellow tang and an adult clarkii clown going in. I would also like to keep some shrimp and a blue linkia star. Will the star bother the mushrooms? Thanks for any and all help! Amanda :p said:
Give them a little candle light and clean water and they'll start making romance. They are anemone morphs, so they are not highly photosynthetic. In fact they don't do too well in my tank except under rocks cause I have too much light. They are an excellent coral for soft coral tanks.

Shrimp: I am anti-shrimp and don't reccomend any except skunk cleaners. Most will be oprtunistic feeders. Meaning they'll make oprtunities out of the most expensive thing you have in your tank. And coral banded shrimp are fiercely territorial.

So far as stocking, blue and maroon linkias are safe. They eat debris. So are orange knobbies and red fromias(?). Question mark on the red fromias though, but I'm pretty sure they are coral safe. Any of those star fish can be gotten from any reef livestock place, but be careful to get them from a reputable place. Linkias especially are very delicate about being introduced into a tank. There are also other types of stars that you can have together. What other kind of stocking tips are you looking for? Fish, other mushroom-type soft corals or what? You have a tang and clown, you can get a mate for the clown, I'd get some chromis before getting any harder to keep fish as they will make the whole tank feel more comfortable and playful. Then a flame angel or possibly another pigmy angel. (flames are the best here because some potters angels and such are cyanide caught, and some eat starfish tubefeet). And there are tons of other fish to look at depending on your setup, like a goby or anthias or something like that. Post more specifics if you want to get into detail.]

@Kevin Trotman wrote:
[I am anti-shrimp and don't reccomend any except skunk cleaners.] said:
[Should have also said, DO get a skunk cleaner or two. They will make your fish much healthier. They do a real service for any parasite problems.]

[Once you post a message, you do have the option to click on Edit to fix mistakes.

And Kevin, now that you are a moderator, you can edit your post any time. :p]

[I definately would like a couple of the cleaners. I am wondering if I can keep some sort of firefish or if the others would pick on it? I would love to get a mate for the clown but it is very large adult, do you think that matters and what about sexing them? Thanks for all your help!]

@Amanda wrote:
[I definately would like a couple of the cleaners. I am wondering if I can keep some sort of firefish or if the others would pick on it? I would love to get a mate for the clown but it is very large adult said:
[Firsfish are ok with just about anything. The same rules apply to them as just about any gobby-like fish. Don't keep them with any big fish that might be a predator like groupers, triggers, or lions. They are delicate and it's hard to get them to accept food. At least feed frozen shrimp or somethign until the get less picky. And don't expect to see them much. They'll choose a cave and hide in it most of the time.

Clowns usually switch sex. Clarkii's are semi-aggressive mates, which means they'll beat the heck out of any clown you introduce until the new fish becomes submissive and decides to sex itself as a male so that they can pair. If you introduce a mate, make sure that one is at least half the size of the other (whichever you want to be female basically). That will convince the smaller one that it's in his best interest to give up quicker. Or better yet, introduce the smaller one in a very clear tupperware container and let him cower for a couple of days before you unleash the larger one on him.]

[
I am wondering if I can keep some sort of firefish said:
I've never had one, so no experience to base an opinion upon. Sorry.

I would love to get a mate for the clown but it is very large adult said:
A large adult could be a female. I had a pair of perculas for a long time until one jumped. I've read that if you introduce a new clown, make sure it is 1/2 the size of the other. I never took the chance.

I did do just that with a yellow tang to add to a tank with a blue atlantic tang. That hasn't worked out well at all. I need to pull out the poor yellow who seems quite terrified and now has ich. Sigh.

That's no fun. Then how would I be able to artificially inflate my post count? said:
Kevin, I know one way. Let's dispute the fun-ness of editing posts. LOL]

[Well you two have totally reinforced my fear of adding a mate! I dont know if I can stand the sight of one beating the #### out of the other! But if thats how they do it who am I to judge. HA! Anyway is there an actual way to sex a clown? I dont want a pretty little firefish that hides from me all the time. Do you know if I can have more than 1 of them? I was at planet pet today and they had a bunch in a tank together(wheels are turning) How about royal grammas? Please any suggestions are needed. I dont really intend on adding anything for a month or two, but would like to have a plan and do some research on species I intend to keep. Thanks again! :cool:]

[I have a purple firefish that used to hover in the lower center
in the front of my tank all the time, until I added a potter's angel,and now he only comes out when it's feeding time. I think the potter swims too fast all over the place and it scares him :so sad: So he hides in his hold most of the time.

Also, if you put a new clown in, the established one will beat
the new one up to prove her dominance :p]

[I would suggest you buy a clown goby as your new fish. It doesn't look anything like a clown. It looks like this guy. He was with us for several years, and was our favorite. He continues to be missed.

goby.jpg
alt="">]