Mike's 260g Rimless Starphire Build

Thanks! I know I've been saying I will get some updates up but I really will sometime here in the next week. Things are finally slowing down a little at work. This is the first time I've been back on the forums in about 3 or 4 days!

Mike, I have spent a long time reading for the first time and trying to get caught up on your build thread. I have 7 more pages to go...

Your tank is amazing and envious for sure! I am going to be starting my 240g build soon and will be referring back to your thread for ideas and will likely have some questions for you. Especially on the apex programming and electrical work.

I'm also envious of your patience! All your preplanning was great and I know it paid off! I wish patience was a virtue I was born with! :grin:

@MBSL55 wrote:
[attachment=2]IMG_0430.JPG[/attachment] said:
That red sponge is exquisite! Please let me know if you ever have a piece of it to sell or know where I could get one. I had a beautiful blue sponge similar to yours shape wise and I lost it in my recent move from CA. :'( I'd love to find another blue one as well.
Also, what are the other 2 reddish orange things next to the sponge?

Wow this is long overdue for an update! I guess I'll just give the quick version of major events from the past few months:

The Atlantic Blue got adopted out and then the PBT got Crypto . . . again . . . while in QT and didn't make it through an attempted copper treatment. I think this was my fault for introducing other things to the system while he was under observation to make sure things had cleared. My fault for rushing things and lesson learned. Seeing has how there were no more fish in QT I just gave the system a full 2+ months of nothing in there to let the Crypto die out.

I did run an experiment to reclaim rock that was treated with Cupramine and put all the rock through another muriatic acid bath, then let it sit in RO for a month with a carbon reactor, and then put it back in the QT system with clean sand. I added a Polyfilter pad, threw in some snails and hermits, and everything seems to be fine. Test results show no copper either so it seems like you can reclaim rock that has been treated with Cupramine if you take the right steps.

I dealt with a alkalinity drop disaster in the main system. Basically, one of my dosing tubes came out of the sump and was dumping Alk supplement into the stand . . . for a whole week! My alk dropped from its regular range to 5.6 dKH. Amazingly enough, I only lost a few frags and every decent sized colony survived.

I've also come to the conclusion that the Red Sea Program does help with coloration but overdosing Reef Energy supplements will lead to cyano. That's just based on a correlation of when I've had cyano and eventually being able to get rid of it when I stopped using Reef Energy. I'm still working on finding the right amount to use without triggering a cyano bloom. The coloration is a subjective thing and also hard to quantify as I had a lot of corals brown or bleach out when I ran into my Alk issue.

After all the fun stuff listed above and setbacks I've finally been able to get back on the path of adding and improving things . . . more to come in a little bit.

Here are some pictures that were used in the April tank presentation. It is interesting to see the growth changes over the course of about 6 months.

For reference, here's a picture of around when it was first setup:
[attachment=2]Before.JPG[/attachment]

And how things looked at the end of March:

[attachment=1]FTS 01.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]FTS 02.JPG[/attachment]

The monticaps have grown like weeds along with most of the other SPS. Since these pictures were taken, the RHCP monticap on the right overflow has grown to within an inch or less of the MP40.

On the top left the pink pocillapora between the MP40 and overflow has encrusted and grown a bit as well as Forest Fire digitada in the same area.

One more picture of the center section:

[attachment=0]Main Center 2.JPG[/attachment]

The chalice that is the front bottom section between the green plate and Blue Hippo was a free frag from whenever we did our last fragging workshop when the Co-op got back online. At the time, it was just a small piece on a small frag plug and has now completely overgrown it and spread out.

The acan colony above the the elegance coral started out as 3 small heads at the end of MACNA and has at least 7 or 8 more new heads.

Tony Vargas also stopped by when he came to speak at one of our meetings and took some photos. I am going to e-mail him to see if I can get copies to post here.

I was reading through your QT article on Reef Addicts. Can you tell me more info on the low profile dosing containers that you are using and where you got them?

@Jzilla wrote:
I was reading through your QT article on Reef Addicts. Can you tell me more info on the low profile dosing containers that you are using and where you got them? said:
Here you go:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/space-saver-jug-thin-4-liter-1-05-gallon.html

They are your basic 1 gallon jugs, just much thinner and taller to help maximize space.

Finally some photo updates! Thanks to JBSmurf for helping me get the blue/actinic settings on my camera to where the photos come out somewhat representative of what things look like. He ran me through how to do some basic Photoshop stuff but I haven't had time to mess with it so these are just the raw unprocessed photos he took:

[attachment=0]IMG_0550.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1]IMG_0541.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=2]IMG_0539.JPG[/attachment]

And some more including an updated FTS under regular light:

[attachment=1]IMG_0560.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=2]IMG_0553.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]IMG_0567.JPG[/attachment]