MH bulb question, please help!

ToddLaCo

Premium Member
10K would definately be a good choice. It is normal to loose intensity with the higher Kelvin bulbs. The 10K bulb is more of a white bulb. They don't really get yellow until around 6500K. Your PC's should give you all the blue you need and you will probably notice better coral growth under the 10K also.

I used 12k bulbs for over a year and they were fantastic. The gave a nice color even though I never supplemented with actinics.

BigScott

you may want to go around looking at people's setup. From what I've seen, different brands have different spectrums. Ushio's 10k may not be the same color as Hamilton's 10k for instance. 10k is too yellow or white for some, and perfect for others. Again, look around possibly try the LFS's and ask them bulb combo they're running. Thats what I think.

From what I've seen said:
Very true. I've just ignited a new bulb that is 10K and I consider very white/blue. Additionally, of the several bulbs that I've put a light meter to, the higher K colors ( abovet 15K ) put out anywhere about 25-40% less light (lux,lumen,candlepower,etc) than the exact same manufacturer's 10K bulbs do. While not a true PAR value, the higher intensity bulbs will appear 'brighter' for sure. (and probably increase PAR unless there is some odd bulb abnormality).

Doug

Yeah...I was researching over on RC and I was somewhat shocked with the very different par outputs you get using the same bulb manufacturer but different Kelvin bulbs...some 50% different. :shock:

6500K is yellow
10000K is white (hint of blue)
12000K is bluer
14000K is bluer yet
20000K is blue city.

if you go to saltwater paradise's store they use 20k bulbs on their display tanks. That is what i use too..i like the look that is my two cents...

I use two 250W XM's supplemented with 110w of actinic PC's and like the look of my tank.

What size tank do you have/how deep?
150 W is not much to start off. 20 k is as blue and dim, IMO, as you can get. I run (3) 250 w 12 ks and 440 watts of VHO actinic over a 110 gallon.

I agree Marc but is bluer even a word??? :?

I'm using exactly what Misty's got, 2 250 xm's supplemented with actinic strips. My corals are noticeably growing, altough without the actinics the xm's would be way to yellow for me. I'm happy with it. If you could look at some tanks that would really help.

Kay

Another thing to consider is the effect you are trying to create. The blue bulbs (15k or higher) create more of a "deep water" effect while a white bulb gives the image of "shallow water". This is just my humble opinion, but it is something that I considered on my lighting.

BigScott

everyones opinion of the perfect spectrum is different. I highly recommend that you see examples of bulbs before you fork out the cash and spend $60+ bux on a bulb that you may or may not like. I think 20k's will be blue blue, especially the radium's, almost like actinic and they will give you the least par out of the spectrums. Generally the lower the kelvin such as 6500 will give you the best par (but yellowish color). Everything I am posting is from observation because I have only run tw types of lighting, PC's and T5HO.

Jeff,

While we aren't real close to lewisville, (it's about a 30minute drive to here) you are welcome to check out the various lighting setups we have. We are in the midst of changing the lighting on some of the tanks, but we have multiple Metal Halide, T5, VHO, PowerCompact and standard flourescent canopies with several different color bulbs. Just PM us and we can arrange something if you are interested.

Doug