Metal Hose Clamps?

bdare

Premium Member
Are they safe to use underwater? I worry about them corriding and releasing stuff back into the tank. Are plastic clamps our only option?

I found a airplane supply company on line that sells them in various sizes at reasonable prices. I will look this evening and send you the site info. :)

Metal hose clamps are no bueno when using them underwater. Dry, however, they are by far the most effective clamp ive used. Plastic ones are your best bet. As for zip ties.......... you cant fully trust them.

I've got zip ties on there right now, but I'm afraid they will slip off... I can only put them on so tight...

I usually use these (link). If you take a pair of pliers and give them a real good squeeze, they work pretty well.

What size do you need? I have a box full of "loose parts" at the house.

@stratman wrote:
I usually use these ([url=http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~FT1514.html]link[/url]). If you take a pair of pliers and give them a real good squeeze said:
I really just need 4-6 of the ones for 1/2" ID tubing. If you have some I could have I would be SOOOO happy. I'd hate to pay $6 in shipping for $2 in parts. Going to the meeting this week?

Ben

I'll dig through the parts when I get off work tomorrow. Not going to the meeting, I have church & band rehersal Wed nights. But, if I have them I'll mail them if you PM me your address.

If you're in a hurry, Dallas North Aquarium usually has these, but you'll pay dearly for 'em, of course... But in a pinch, I've picked some up there before...

@stratman wrote:
I only have 4 but I will mail them tomorrow if I can. said:
I got hose clamps in the mail today from stratman!!!!

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH! I'm touched by your generosity and sincerely grateful that you did that for me!

Ben

use a zip tie gun they will get them really tight even tighter thatn the plastic clamps but then they are really hard to get off.