Meshwheel modification for needlewheel skimmers

tesfeld

Premium Member
Who has done this besides myself and Marc? What was your result? Please share any info.
Marc, I wouldn't have known you did it if I hadn't been on RC today! How do you like it?

I'm going to the garage to hack up my Eheim impeller!

I have done it to my Sedra 9000 but the mesh keeps coming apart. What are you guys using and how do you keep it together? For about 24 hours after I put it back together it rocks but slowing I start seeing the mesh in the collection cup and all my bubbles start to go away.

Lewis

Tony, I did it about two months ago I guess. Here's the thread about it, from our DIY Forum.
http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=26439

I modded two pumps. After about a month, one unfurled a tad but I replaced that one.

I know Steve (TCU Reefer) tried it on his ASM's Sedra pump, and it came apart within a day or two, so he had to redo it, but I don't know how it has held up.

Not mesh wheel, I am going to make one, a loop wheel to see how it performs.
loop.jpg
alt="">
loop2.jpg
alt="">

@Marc wrote:
I know Steve (TCU Reefer) tried it on his ASM's Sedra pump said:
It came apart because when trimming the mesh around the center (where the ceramic shaft is) I may have trimmed off too much. I made sure the second time that the mesh was very well secured with zip ties and it's still holing up after running rof about a month.

This is a cheap and easy mod to do and my skimmer is working better than ever.

i did the mesh mod to my asm skimmer. i do see a big difference in performance. the bubbles are finer and are more dense. i did the mod about 2 months ago as well and mine has stayed together.

I was going to mod my sedra 3500 on the ER skimmer but its working well now, didn't want to hack it up. I was scared that it was going to come loose and get stuck somewhere so I didn't do it. I just bought the pump, so after a month or two, I may just mod it.

Here is 4 days of skimmate on my meshed-skimmer. I feed once a day, and don't dose phyto.

4day_skimmate.jpg
alt="">