Melanarus Wrasse-Reef Safe??

K_Red_Raider

Membership Expired
I have a ton of Asteria Star fish in my 120 SPS dominate tank and was thinking about getting a Melanarus Wrasse to take care of the problem. The question is...is this a reef safe wrasse? I realize that is a loaded question as all fish can be reef safe and they can all be non-reef safe but I need to get something to take care of the Asteria problem and dont want to get a Harliquin shrimp that I will have to tear apart my tank to get out after it has taken care of the problem.

When I had a melanarus wrasse it never touched the asteria stars. I had to get a couple harlequin shrimp the knocked them out pretty quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I had a Melanarus for a couple of years and thought he was a great fish. The biggest problem I had with him was his occasional harrasment of snails. He would pick them up, shake them around, and then drop them. I never saw him actually kill or try to eat any of my clean up crew, and he did an awesome job of cleaning up the flatworm problem I had.

I had asterinas and I never saw him go after them, so you might be out of luck if thats what you're wanting him for.

Only reason I don't still have him is because he was lost during the layover between my tank leak and getting the new one established.

Awesome I may have to go with a harlequin shrimp cuz that is what I was waning the melanarus for.

Pampee did you remove the shrimp after it finished cleaning up the starfish or do you still have it. And if so was it hard to catch?

i still have them...i have three chocolate chip stars in the sump and i cut a leg off and they munch on it and that will keep them fed for a week.

to catch them you prob could tie a leg to fishing line so they dont pull it away and net them as they move pretty slow not like a cleaner shrimp or peppermint shrimp

I have heard of a few people doing something like that but that seems so cruel to me but I guess they loose their legs all of the time