Maxspect Gyre XF250

The Icecap probably just tell the pump what speed to run.? I bet you can't get the Gyre action to work since the pump will go one direction only.

My bad luck continues but you guys can learn from my mistakes.My replacement controller came in.? Since there is so much flow generated by this pump I wasn't using it over 40%.? At 60% my Xenia came unglued and rolled around in the tank and it was at least 3 feet from the pump.So I decided to swap out one set of blades and use it in the Gyre mode.? Might as well, that's what it is made for.? I was fumbling around figuring out how to change out the blades and cage.? Unfortunately my 3 year old grandson was running around screaming and distracted me for a moment.? The long cord pulled the partially assembled pump off the top of the aquarium and it hit the floor.? Nothing seemed broken so I installed it and set it to running.? Feeling the flow the pump just wasn't putting much out in one direction.? So I completely disassembled it.? The pump has a magnet rotor and the controller generates 3 phase to run the rotor around.? In an effort to keep water out of the motor the rotor uses a high dollar ceramic shaft and seal.? It's only about 1/8" in diameter which means it's also brittle.? That 3 foot drop snapped the shaft on both ends.?I bought a new rotor and a spare.? Those with 2 day shipping was a $100 hit.? There is zero flow in the tank right now.? The return pump doesn't generate much.?So frustrating.

Wow, sorry to hear about your bad luck! ?We have all been there at some point. ?I knocked my brand new auto feeder into the tank on 2 different occasions! ?Both times I was able to get the batteries out fast enough and then fresh water rinse and dry to save it. ?I had to redo some of the wiring the first time around. ?I also put an external pump in water once... that was fun! ?$150 pump didn't make it. ?I just recently flooded my house (for the third time) the day I left for a 10 day vacation! ?Forgot to reattach the skimmer to the skimmate locker and it was just dumping all over the floor and running super wet because I thought it was good to clean it right before leaving for vacation. ?Woke up my first day of vacation to a ton a text messages from my leak detectors. ?Good thing I have the best tank sitter in the world!We should start a DON'T DO THIS thread!

Oh that stinks! Glad it is on its way to repair. Was it very hard to tear down?We should start a, what NOT to do thread lol. I know I could add to the list too...like don't forget to turn off all your pumps/powerheads before you start your water change...never do this hobby in a hurry :p

Actually it's super easy to tear down.? The magnet mounts go from latches in the center of the pump and wrap around the ends.? You just pull them toward the end of the pump and they slide right off.? There are vibration dampeners between the magnets and the pump.? It all comes off in one piece.Then a small twist removes the cages and exposes the rotor blades.? They just pull off also.The Gyre comes with 4 sets of blades and cages.? 2 Forward and 2 Reverse.?? It also comes with spare seals and snail guards.? The guards are stretchy nylon baskets that completely cover the cages.? While pricey you do get a lot with this pump.? The flow is incredible.? You will stir up junk in the tank you didn't know you had and it will blow gravel and sand down to the glass and leave bare spots a couple of feet away.? All while running very quiet.

Wow great info, I might have to get me a couple of these.Have they release a date for the new controllers that will APEX interface?I have one more VarSp port :-D

I don't know about a release date.? I'd also be sure the pump is fully capable on the apex.? Since it is a 0-10V interface, can it command the pump to go reverse?I also ran across a comment that the pump doesn't run full speed with the Apex.? Something to look into.

Man I have the XF230s in my shopping cart....decisions decisions...lolWonder if my fish will get freaked out by a?new current pattern..lol..gonna go from toilet bowl to straight drifting.Some reviews are saying they are noisy above 50% too...anyone else have this issue with the 200 series?

Two things can cause noise.? If they aren't assembled correctly and if they are brand new.? The seals have to wear in.? Mine was a heck of a lot quieter than the CP-40.? The motor itself on the CP made a whine.Did I mention that it also comes with a power splitter for 12V backup?I think they also have an extra noise isolation quieting kit available.http://www.coralvue.com/maxspect-gyre-parts-2?p=2? - Quiet kit

Interesting, will definitely be watching the reviews on all the gyre ?style powerheads coming out. I will probably be making my decision in a few weeks. ?:) Thanks for sharing all your info!

The new motor rotors just arrived.? The pump went together in about 5 minutes and is installed.? I hope my corals get happy again.? The Toadstool decided to pull in and the Xenia started growing really long and thin.One thing that was confusing before has sorted itself out.? The blades and cages are marked A and B.? For normal running you need an A and a B.? For Gyre mode you need two A's or 2 B's.? That's one of the reason I broke my rotor.? I was trying to figure this part out when my grandson distracted me.? 50% and 10 seconds I get flow all the way to the far end of my 7' tank.Now to start learning about making corals happy.?? I know I have a lot to learn.?My next purchase will be a RO/DI filter.

Posted by: jenkinscrew?Good deal! Let me know what mode works best for you after you play with it some more. :-)? ? said:
I am running it in the Forward/Reverse Gyre mode.? 40% F and 40% R.? 6 Second ramp on all 4 settings.? This still whips my Xenia around pretty good 5' from the pump.? At night I have it set for 20% max flow random mode.