Maxspect Gyre....Hype...or worth every penny???

Sherman

Membership Expired
I have Jebao WP's on my 115g tank.....It's been awhile since I changed things up....
Is the Gyre worth it? Is it worth it taking price out of the equation?

I was WOW'd at first. I was impressed with the flow and features and the small foot print. First impression was I got a great buy. I ran them at 70% on a 4' tank. -- that was a LOT of flow.

I purchased TWO of the 130's in March and BOTH have had issues. The first was early on about 2 months into use where the little rubber wore and split allowing the bushing to strip. Coralvue sent new ones (different design), much better quality. The second unit issue remains. At 100% only has the power of the other running at 50% or lower. I just got it back last week and put it on yesterday. Nothing changed. I will be resubmitting warranty.

If I look at the hundreds of different products I've purchased ... overall defect rate is less than 1%. For that kind of money on the Gyre, I expected much better quality! ... and certainly didn't expect issues with BOTH making my purchase 100% defect rate. If I need to replace ... it won't be with the Maxspect Gyre.

That's too bad. I like the idea of the evenly distributed flow....Vs. the left/right/left/right of most 'Wavemakers'. I know 'Random' flow is desired by most, does this give the random flow most desire? or 'Else' flow?

I have had zero issues with my 130 - It really did eliminate dead spots in my tank. If you do have any issues- Coralvue will take care of you!

@Sherman wrote:
That's too bad. I like the idea of the evenly distributed flow....Vs. the left/right/left/right of most 'Wavemakers'. I know 'Random' flow is desired by most said:
No it doesn't have *random* ... you can set it to do forward and reverse, but even with SeaFlor the reverse kicks up a mess. Check the video ... random isn't needed as it will do multiple sweeps from one end of the tank to the other ... and back again.

@Cameron wrote:
... If you do have any issues- Coralvue will take care of you! said:
From experience, that is not MY case ... 50% resolved. They sent me back the same unit and running at 100% is less than 50% of what it should be. I am hoping to be able to say ... Coralvue will take care of you. Time will tell. Not acceptable to have to send same unit twice, for same issue not resolved.

<hr class="bbcode_rule" />
I want to add -- in regards to customer service and warranty -- I registered my products AND uploaded a copy of the receipt within a few hours of purchase. The serial number was included on the receipt as well for both units, not just the model number. I submitted my first ticket and was told to forward a copy of RECEIPT that is REQUIRED in order to process the claim for warranty.
<hr class="bbcode_rule" />
So much for registering product and giving them a copy of receipt ... it's useless. I could not find my receipt and forwarded my email confirmation they sent when I registered -- that was NOT sufficient. I found it days later. I had thought it was most likely trashed.

IF you buy -- make sure to keep the receipt. Not sure what they do with the registration and copy of receipt provided, but they require it AGAIN.

WOW, that brings up another good point....IF you buy one used, and you end up with the issues, you are out of luck....I would hope with the issues they have been having, you would be able to power trough and get it fixed regardless if you were the first owner or not...

@Sherman wrote:
WOW said:
I hadn't seen any reviews lately, so I was not aware they were having on going issues. I was stating my experience and feeling like I overpaid for not so great quality. I expected MUCH better.

You are on to something with that -- if they are having KNOWN issues about anything, someone should be able to get it warrantied, but then it comes down to proving when it was purchased I guess. I purchased a used Maxpect Razor about 3 years ago and was told it was transferable as long as I had the receipt. Receipt, receipt, receipt ... don't loose it! You just might need it.

@BlennyLover wrote:
I hadn't seen any reviews lately said:
I'm not aware of any known issues with the 130. The early versions of the 150 had an issue with being noisy. The mount would transmit vibrations and cause a resonating sound. That was resolved with a new mount which came on all the 130's. I bought my 130 used so I did some research on that to make sure. Hopefully I won't have any problems with it after hearing about your warranty experience.

I have one of the first 150's. It has had issues all of which were resolved by Maxspect. Had controller issues, controller was replaced. The cord coming out of motor cracked due to the severe bend and the motor was replaced. I did have to buy the new mounts but price was reduced to $10. Despite the issues I do love the pump. I'll buy another when they come out with the advanced stand alone controller.

@isaac.croas wrote:
I have 2 130's and love them both. Zero issues (servicing can be a pita). Great flow said:
Servicing can be a pain? I thought you put them in reverse, and you are good to go.....or, are you saying when you do your routine maintenance of taking it out an cleaning?

Putting in reverse can help clear the crud but the pump still needs a good cleaning every few months. There are a bunch of small parts that have to go back in correctly. I had heck my first cleaning but subsequent cleanings have been easier.

Just thought id add my thoughts, I have been running the 130 on a 75 for a week now so cannot comment on durability but the flow is on another level. Moves all the corners and a wave across entire top. I was going to replace my two tunze nanostreams but I'm not a fan of the "gyre" effect it creates on it's own but with one tunze added on back wall facing front and the the gyre on constant 40% long ways I get plenty of random flow and very nice improvement in zoas and euphylia really happy with it hope it lasts I don't care about good customer service these things shouldn't break imo