Man!!

hitillidie

Membership Expired
Man, I clean my tunzes today after Marc reminded me during his lecture on Flow. I'll tell ya, I have a sand storm in my tank now. I'm getting a serious balled spot in the middle of the tank and all my cleans are getting knocked over.

One other thing to mention. About a month ago I went and bought some oyster, squid, shrimps, silversides, bryine, and bloodworms blended all up added a little cyclopee and nori blended it some more and my corals love it. Well just last week I read up on pappone and I was noticing how similar it was to what I had made except the sugar. So I decide to add a little, very little sugar to my feeding Thursday and man, polyps extention was crazy. I'll try to get it on video to show you but it's a hour long process with the AA. But it was pretty cool.

@TriggaFish99 wrote:
Keep us posted on how the sugar works our for you. said:
Please do keep us up to date... sugar still scares me... I have this image of a bacteria bloom in the back of my head.

@DaveJ wrote:
I have this image of a bacteria bloom in the back of my head. said:
From my cursory reading of the theories behind the vinegar/vodka/sugar dosing methods, a bacteria bloom is exactly what you WANT to happen...

@Serk wrote:
[I]@DaveJ wrote:[/I][quote="I have this image of a bacteria bloom in the back of my head. said:
From my cursory reading of the theories behind the vinegar/vodka/sugar dosing methods, a bacteria bloom is exactly what you WANT to happen..."]

True its the cloudy milky ones that scare me though, someone around here had one not too long ago. Not saying its bad or good, effective or ineffective, just that I don't have the stones to do it in my tank at this point in the ballgame with it.

I'll sure will keep you guys posted. My Polyps still maintain their extention even three days later. Tank seems to be do well. Now I have to clean up this sand storm that just occured over night. By-the-way people have had Maxi-jet fall and cause sand storms huh, well this morning one of my Tunzes slipped of the magnet when I moved and fell right into the sand. MAN! now that's a sand storm. :D

Carl are you getting same amount or less skimmate?...i started two weeks ago the sugar and my skimmate has dropped off...Not sure if it is the sugar or that i changed my feeding regimen.

Well, I can't tell right now. I always get pretty good skimmate day after feeding and since then I've had sand storm which creates more skimmate so I'll have to waite a couple days to see and give you a respond.

I've glued my Tunze's to the magnets and accidentally broke it off (didn't glue it well enough) so I know what you mean. I have about 5" - 6" of DSB and it was a mess but settled down. Luckily I was handling it at the time it broke and kept if from going to the bottom, that would have been much worse.

yea, people are always skeptical when it come to new idea, I remember when the BB talk started, Europeans had been doing it for year but people here were hesitant to believe or try it. But few people jumped in try it had success, reported back with good new and more tried it. Now today it's mainstream.

I can understand people hesitating to try new idea with establish reefs. I probably wouldn't either. But I like the concept of the idea and my tank is relatively new, so I'm trying it. I've read many different articles and I'm moving forward. I'll keep everyone posted. :wink:

@hitillidie wrote:
The big difference between the two are one is foundational... BB vs DSB etc and one of 'maintenace'... its a new (relatively new) export of nutrient process. This may just be me, but why throw sugar or booze into your tank for nitrates and risk the bad bloom? Why not add some macros to the fuge, a remote DSB, a nitrate reactor or a host of other things. If it works great... but there is too much risk of getting a bad bloom for me to comfortably say this is a regular maintenance procedure. If you have a tank that you can't skim, grow-out/export or reactor the nitrates out of then there is a bigger problem.

Ever hear of the tinker principle??? Its when someone is convinced something isn't working right (for whatever reason) and they tinker with it constantly?? I am beginning to think this may be one of those things. People who have been having terrific success with their SPS dominated tanks for years all of suddenly think they have a nitrate problem and start tinkering... over time it expands and hits a frenzy then more and more start doing it.

Maybe its the link between compulsive behavior and the dedication it takes to keep some of those tanks ;)

The sugar/vodka thing isn't new at all. It's at least 10-20 years old. IMHO, there's a reason that this hasn't become an old idea.

The reef hobby in it's current state is relatively new. Yea people kept saltwater tanks dating all the way back to the 70's. But it doesn't compare to what it is today. knowledge is far more greater today. So sugar and vodka may have to around to 20-30 years but knowing how to use it in proper dosage to get desired result have not be around for that
long.

Ever hear of the tinker principle??? Its when someone is convinced something isn't working right (for whatever reason) and they tinker with it constantly?? I am beginning to think this may be one of those things. People who have been having terrific success with their SPS dominated tanks for years all of suddenly think they have a nitrate problem and start tinkering... over time it expands and hits a frenzy then more and more start doing it. said:
This is call advancement. People across all walks of life have done this to make life a little better. If it wasn't for some tinkering with car phones they would still be size of bricks. tinkering is what lead to MJMods. Tinking is good for the hobby. This hobby is young and their lots to learn and tinker with. People say we're behind the Europeans in this hobby, why can't we learn from some of their practices.

I agree development always calls for bold moves; we gain nothing if no one ever takes a chance. This is why forums like this one, RC, or WWM, just to mention a few, are so good for the advancement of the hobby. We have what, several hundred local members now, not to mention all the registered guests as well as probably thousands of casual browsers that stumble across our site. That's a lot of tanks, a lot of heads; all thinking about, experimenting with, and trying new ideas dealing with everything from the modification of equipment to new treatments or better husbandry. I see great things ahead for those who keep marine aquaria. As long as people keep posting about their successes as well as their failures we can’t lose. I honestly think we will see a cure or perhaps the complete elimination of crypt in our lifetime. And when it happens, it probably won't be discovered by marine biologists at some oceanographic research center, but most likely discoveries like this will come from the private sector, through the collective efforts of hobbyist comparing notes and personal experiences on message board fish forums. Our strength is in our numbers and our passion for the hobby, that’s something that no government grant can ever buy.

@hitillidie wrote:
The reef hobby in it's current state is relatively new. Yea people kept saltwater tanks dating all the way back to the 70's. But it doesn't compare to what it is today. knowledge is far more greater today. So sugar and vodka may have to around to 20-30 years but knowing how to use it in proper dosage to get desired result have not be around for that long. [quote="Ever hear of the tinker principle??? Its when someone is convinced something isn't working right (for whatever reason) and they tinker with it constantly?? I am beginning to think this may be one of those things. People who have been having terrific success with their SPS dominated tanks for years all of suddenly think they have a nitrate problem and start tinkering... over time it expands and hits a frenzy then more and more start doing it. said:
This is call advancement. People across all walks of life have done this to make life a little better. If it wasn't for some tinkering with car phones they would still be size of bricks. tinkering is what lead to MJMods. Tinking is good for the hobby. This hobby is young and their lots to learn and tinker with. People say we're behind the Europeans in this hobby, why can't we learn from some of their practices."]

I think you misunderstood my mentioning of the tinkering... I wasn't saying it was a bad thing. I just was making an observation about tinkering as a whole.... and the obsessiveness that seems to drive some of the serious SPS Keeper crowd. Neither of those is bad thing on its own, but it can also lead to mistakes etc.

Just remember that while tinkering around with things does lead to innovation etc, it can also lead to disaster. While this isn't really experimental, when someone reads about the 'miracle' of sugar or vodka, its easy to let eagerness and enthusiasm override caution. In this particular case, caution should be exercised and if the decision to do it is made, it should be with the understanding that the risk of a serious bloom of 'bad' bacteria is possible.

As was mentioned the advent of sugar and vodka is not new... it has come and gone a couple of times. Perhaps it will stick around this time and someone can find a way to make it reliable and practical for the average hobbyist. As it stands now, I still consider it an expert level activity.

As Julian Sprung said at Next Wave 06, if someone said jumping up and down on one foot would make your SPS tank look better, there'd be a lot of bouncing going on. *grin*

I could see your point but this topic dates back to 2003-2004 that I've read. So it's been tried and tried and tried again. The results have been consisent enough over large group of people for me to try it. I'm conscious as anyone when it come to my tank.