lumen bright reflector hanging question

thing with lumenbrights they need to be above 12+ " above the water to be effective. that will be a big canopy. you can go lower but you get spotlight effect

@acat1976 wrote:
I got these 2 reflectors but not sure how i want to mount them on my 210. My wife wants a canopy built said:
Is there room on the front and rear edges/lips of your canopy? I picked up some acrylic hanger feet from melev, mounted the endcaps to the drilled acrylic, rewired the endcaps through the feet, and from there it was surprisingly easy to do.

VHOlit.jpg
alt="">

Actually, you need them up higher than that. I just bought some myself, and to get the proper spread of light and avoid shadows, the bulb should be 16" off the water. That means the base of the reflector should be 12" off the water.

Tonight I was doing some PAR measurements with mine to see how strong they are, and let me tell you it is easy to scorch your corals with these reflectors if you aren't careful and are installing them over an established reef.

For years, I've used Spider reflectors with 250w ReefLux 10,000K bulbs. My huge Toadstool Leather was receiving 162 PAR from that bulb. I just installed a brand new bulb in that reflector, with the bubl 18" from the water. Leaving the bulb burning for 30 minutes, I took a measurement and it was 444 PAR at the exact same spot (12" submerged). I'll be posting all my findings soon, but figured I'd give you some preliminaries.

These reflectors produce so much more light that you don't need to run them as long. When I first installed them, I ran each bulb 4 hours a day for a full week. For the next week, I increased the light by .5 hour per bulb. By the third week, 5 hours per day per bulb. And after a month, I'm up to 6 hours a day. My corals are growing, nothing bleached out and everything looks great. In addition, I have more room to work above my tank because the lights aren't in my way and the water doesn't heat up because the space between the bulbs and the water is greater than my old lights. Running the lights less means pay less electricity too.

do you have a center brace? if you do two will have to do...if no center brace i would go 3...my tank is 72x30x31 i plan to use three big lumenbrites on my tank.. if you do have a centerbrace and decide to put a reflector over it make sure your reflector is high enough not to crack the center brace

I have three over my tank, which is 72 x 30 x 30.

lighting_fishroom_closed.jpg
alt="">

tons_of_space2.jpg
alt="">

These are the luminbrites. They just have an outer shell and glass, which are sold at ReefSpecialty.com

You'll need a third ballast for a third bulb & reflector. They do not make 3 or 4 ballast units. If they match, that would be nice, but not necessary. My own set up uses two 250w MH with a 400w MH in the center. The outer ballasts are IceCap E-ballasts while the 400w is a magnetic one.

Here you go: http://melevsreef.com/par_readings.html

I am using 2 250 w single ended xm 10ks on my tank in lumenarc reflectors. My tank is 72 x 30 x 31.5. I also have 8 x 39w t-5's actinic for supplementation. You can see my build thread here.

http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=43445

I went with two to save electricity, heat and material cost. So far things have been good and the reflectors have made a huge difference I think in getting away with just two Mhs.